1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Acting Wierd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dking63, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP Pro SP3/Windows 7 Ultimate dual boot on my PC, but it will not boot into XP. It will not even boot to an XP installation disk, although it boots fine from any other boot disk.

Any ideas?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it boots from other bootable disks and not your xp disk, I would tend to think the disk is damaged. If it boots dvd disks and not CDs then the CD laser in the drive has failed.

3. iRiguez

iRiguez

I would venture to say this sounds like Drive Failure.

4. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

(deleted by morderator) The drive only has one laser (deleted by moderator) I have already eliminated the possibility of a failing drive (tested with [reference to a disk that includes copyrighted software deleted by mod] and a clean S.M.A.R.T. Drive status) and tested the XP disk on another computer.

At the OS select screen, it freezes up when I hit enter OR let the timer run out. In other words, the moment it tries to boot into Windows XP. The XP disk freezes up on the "Inspecting hardware screen". I found if I hit F8, then select "Start Windows Normally", it works fine, but it still will not boot up without going through the F8 process.

Any ideas?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    dking63, I think that a person with truly "Advanced" experience would not reference a disk known to include copyright material for which the supplier does not have permission, and especially would have learned that help is more likely to be offered to those who do not insult people who are only trying to help.

Perhaps I am being too lenient and will be over-ruled, but I do not think that your post is at a level to deserve an infraction. But I certainly refrain from offering any help to anybody who makes such remarks.

6. buffoon

buffoon

dking63,

I've edited your post #4 and warn you to moderate the tone of your postings in future.

Thank you.

7. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

Please allow me to offer apologies for my attitude. Was a rough day and I had absolutely no excuse or justification for bringing it here. The software I used to test my hard drive was HDD Scan 2.8

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I accept your apology.

When you try to boot the XP installation CD how far do you get? Get the "hit any key to boot from CD"? Starts to read files but dies? Etc.?

I'm assuming that your post # 4 paragraph about "At the OS select screen ..." is when trying to boot from hard drive, selecting XP from the dual boot menu. Yes?

9. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

I actually have 3 OS's. Windows 7 Ultimate and 2 XP installs all on separate partitions of a 1 TB HDD: one for general use and another optimized for gaming. After I choose between Windows 7 or an older operating system, I get to the screen where I choose the general or gaming set-up. The instant I hit enter (or let the timer run out) it freezes up

From the install disk, it freezes when it starts inspecting the system

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, I don't pretend to know much hardware so I'm just gonna throw this out and you can ignore it, laugh, or run with it. :) This is the only thing I can think of that would be common to all three (two installs and the CD).

XP has some issues with SATA drives. Is it possible that something happened--maybe a IDE/SATA or some such setting in the BIOS was changed by goblins--and now XP can't deal with the drive properly?

11. dking63

dking63 Thread Starter

Thank you TerryNet, that advice did the trick. After messing around with my BIOS settings and losing my drives :eek:, I reset the BIOS to default config and everything was aces (y)

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice