1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer administrator

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by imaitken, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imaitken

imaitken Thread Starter

I really need help. I have XP Home and am trying to delete some startup items using msconfig. Even tho my user account is the administrator account, it will not let me make any changes. It says I am not the administrator. I don't have any idea why it is saying this. I have tried to do things like this before and always get the same answer. Please help.

2. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

Try using Ccleaner, on the right click Tools > Startup. You can also try running MsConfig as an administrator.

3. imaitken

imaitken Thread Starter

I am using the User Account that is the Administrator account. Is there another account I should be using? I thought my User account as computer administrator was all I needed but I cannot make changes to Startup using msconfig. It says I have to sign on as the Computer Administrator. Isn't that what I have done?

4. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

You are correct, but try using the Ccleaner option or logging into the built in administrators account, before you try anything dratic :D

5. imaitken

imaitken Thread Starter

I tried using CCleaner. It seemed to work, but the next time I logged on it I got a message that said I had to set msconfig to Normal Startup because it was in Selective Startup. When I go to Normal Startup, The startup items return to the original settings. What now?

6. -Fabez-

-Fabez-

It sounds like a configuration error somewhere. Can you post a screenshot of the message you got at startup please.

7. thebrownone

thebrownone

Instead of using msconfig to edit startup items, I've always recommended editing the registry, but backup the folder fist. You want to go to HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Run

Back up (export) this folder so that it can be restored if need be. In there you will find the .exe's that are running on startup. Simply delete the entries for the exe.'s you don't want to run on startup.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!