1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer almost boots...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dreddnaut, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

Here is my problem:

I just replaced the motherboard with everything else remaining the same. When I power the computer on, I get the single "beep", the normal DOS messages with options to enter setup or boot menu, then constant rebooting. I go into setup, have the boot list as "HDD - CD-ROM - USB" (which I changed to CD - HDD - USB). The automatic repair tool it keeps trying to run can't seem to get it started. I have a DVD drive, CD burner (both IDE) and a SATA HDD with Windows 7. I just cannot seem to get past the DOS screen. I know it's vague, but can anyone help? What do you need for information? I feel like I'm missing something small yet extremely significant. At one point, I saw the HDD listed as D:, so I unplugged the 2 IDE drives, leaving only the SATA HDD plugged in, thinking C: wasn't being "assigned" properly. Same result. Thank you.

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

When you change the motherboard, unless it's the exact same board you will have to reinstall windows, but sometimes a repair install will work.

3. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

That would make sense, I guess. Why does Windows have to be reinstalled?

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The chipset drivers and other motherboard drivers are tied to the old board. If you have the disk you can boot off that and try a repair install.

5. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I assume you mean the Windows disk? I do have the disk that came with the motherboard, but I can't get the computer to recognize it. The disk gets ignored in the reboot cycle. So, once I do a Windows repair-install, the motherboard CD should then come into play?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't do a repair install of Windows 7. Backup your data, format the drive and do a clean install. You must a Windows 7 disc to do the install, the motherboard disc is only for installing drivers after you have installed Windows.

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The poster can't get into Windows to do a backup. I've done repair installs, but it's hit and miss when a new motherboard is the reason. You can reinstall Windows 7 and it will create a folder on the c drive named Windows old. Your documents will (should) be in that folder. If you format and do a fresh install (which is best) you will loose all your files.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    He'd have to backup the data using another computer.

Installing a copy of Windows next to the previous copy is not a repair install, and with Windows 7 you have to be able to boot into Windows to do a repair installation using media thats at the same level of service packs as the installed copy unless you know of another way with Windows 7 unlike Windows XP.

9. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I forgot to mention that if service pack one is installed then a repair or re-install will not work with the origional disk.

10. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

Thank you. I'll figure out a way to get my data backed up then do a fresh install. Another question - why do I see the option to repair when I boot with the Windows disk? Is Windows 7 "repair" different than XP "repair"?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

Yes, I saw that when I tried to boot up without the Windows disk. Maybe we're talking about the same thing, but I was referring to the repair option when booting from the Windows disk. Two options, install and repair. My apologies if I'm rehashing the same thing.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Doesn't the Windows 7 disc Repair option take you to the same thing?

14. Dreddnaut

Dreddnaut Thread Starter

I don't know, I never went beyond it. If I choose "repair" from that screen, will it hurt anything, data-wise? Looking at it, it seems exactly like the XP "repair", which I've done before. I could care less about having to re-install Windows. My only real concern is losing data.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It wont delete data unless you choose too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice