1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer asks for uninstalled operating system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RPT, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

Hello all ... a long time ago I installed a second version of Windows XP on my computer. If memory serves, I installed it on the same directory as my original operating system. I uninstalled it shortly thereafter ... however, every time I boot up, the computer asks me which copy of XP I want to use. This despite the fact that I have since totally reinstalled windows and even replaced the physical hard drive! How can I get it to stop asking for an operating system that no longer exists?
    Currently I am running XP Pro on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 2 Gigs of RAM and 750 Gigs on 3 hard drives.
    Many Thanks!!

2. Flags

Flags

RPT: I know of no way to stop the choosing but you can make it go away quicker.
    Start>Run>type-msconfig>OK.
    Click the Boot.ini tab and on the right is a Timeout box.
    Enter 3 (that's the Minimum) and the two choices will be there for only 3 seconds.
    The defaule is 30 secs. so you should sav 27 seconds and not have to push Enter.

3. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Remove the extra operating system from boot.ini. example:

[boot loader]
    timeout=12
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect < Delete this one
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

The actual boot.ini file is on root of your system partition
    To access it you could open a command prompt, type "cd\" then type "edit boot.ini"

or

Go to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab, check the box "Show Hidden Files and Folders" and uncheck the box "Hide Protected Operating System Files" Open "My Computer" or the like and open your system drive. It will be right there.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

For the easy and safe way . . Try this . . Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one is invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

6. RPT

RPT Thread Starter

Changing the boot.ini file worked -- problem resolved!!
    Many thanks!!
    (y)

7. nimd4

nimd4

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The fix that was used only removes the link to the operating system that was installed not the operating system itself. This operating system is linked to a lot of files and directories on the hard drive and you might want to think about getting rid of that to free up extra space.

9. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

So if I understand you correctly, you want RPT to remove the files associated with this extra boot.ini entry to save space. Now since this duplicate boot.ini entry was created by replacing the operating system in exactly the same partition, that would mean removing the rest of the startup files, operating system files, etc. leaving a completely unbootable harddrive. You're right that does save a lot of space!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!