1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Beeps on Boot as well as scrolls automatically

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by scooke, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron 1545. I have had this laptop approximately 3.5 years and have never had a problem until we returned from vacation a few weeks ago. I shut down my perfectly working computer and came back to beeping and auto-scroll. I have run virus scanners, registry cleaners, driver scanners, and pc cleaners and have yet to fix this problem. There is no pattern to the beeping, It will beep anywhere from 2-5 times at the Dell logo screen and then continually for approximately 100+ beeps at the Windows start screen before booting normally. My screen auto scrolls in all browsers as well as my email. I use Chrome and Thunderbird. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After you use even one registry "cleaner" I hesitate to make any guesses, but "auto scrolls" suggests to me a mouse or touchpad issue. Precisely what do you mean by "auto scrolls"?

I realize you said there is no pattern, but I still suggest looking at Computer POST and beep codes.

3. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

I have looked at the beep codes and it does not appear to match any. The first time I started my computer today it beeped twice. I've been attempting to fix the issue and have therefore restarted several times and the last restart produced 5 beeps at the Dell logo screen. There are also times upon reboot that I don't hear any beeps at all.

The screen auto scrolls when I go to any website. If I open facebook, without my hands anywhere near the keyboard the screen scrolls all the way to the bottom. If attempt to get it back to the top by pressing the up arrow, the home button or page up button, it scrolls back to the bottom.

I agree that it could be a keyboard/touch pad issue but when I uninstalled the driver for the touchpad, and plugged in a mouse via USB, it persisted.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Stuck down arrow, down page or End key maybe?

5. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

Nothing appears to be stuck. If I press the buttons once they perform their required action. I had seen a tip once while browsing the internet that told me to firmly press each and every key on the keyboard before booting to see if that solved the beeping/scroll issue and I did that and it did stop beeping but the scrolling continues.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm out of ideas. :(

7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Do you know anyone that could loan you a USB keyboard to try along with your mouse?

8. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

Well, crap. :(

9. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

I have several usb keyboards just sitting around, so yes, I suppose I could try that. Should I uninstall the keyboard/mouse on the laptop first to see if that's the problem then?

10. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Try just hooking them up, should revert to that, if not, then yes, uninstall.

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Was anything spilled on the keyboard over vacation? Just a thought..

12. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

The computer stayed at home while we were gone. I had shut it down before we left and closed the top. Can't imagine what could have happened It's all very bizarre. Haven't had a chance to hook up USB keyboard yet but will let you know if that works when I do. If it works, I suppose I need a keyboard replacement.

13. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    That's a possibility, and Amazon has them for around $13.00.

14. scooke

scooke Thread Starter

Well, I plugged in a standard keyboard and it still did the scrolling thing.

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Out of ideas here. I have to agree though with TerryNet that using Registry cleaners can and will mess up a computer, just a matter of time.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice