1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Computer boot up problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tonio, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

I have the blank screen on start up, cpu is spinning as is the normal fan. The cdrom and flopy drives do not light up though. The screen is blank, no bios or any activity.

This happened after the cdrom and hd starting "clicking" I rebooted and now this is the problem. I have tried chaging ram around and using orginal sticks..no use. I have also read about reseating the cpu..not sure what this means though. I can't seem to move mine much at all.

Need help! =)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Tonio, welcome to TSG.

I guess you know that noise coming from the hard drive is not good....

Double check the video card to be sure it's inserted tightly, and verify your monitor connection as well.

3. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

Verified video card..it's good. Keyboard doesn't light up either. NO beeps from it leads me to believe something has gone horribly horribly wrong. Checked all connections and everything seems to be fine.

Hardrive sound is not good why?

This just keeps getting better =)

4. ~Candy~

You used the word hard drive and clicking in the same sentence....that is usually the first indications of a hard drive failure.

Check the power supply connection to the motherboard itself to be sure it's secure. Disconnect and reconnect the mouse and keyboard. Press gently on the cpu to be sure it's tight....other than that, I'd be pulling anything extra, extra ram chips, modem cards, sound cards, etc. and see if you can't get some sounds with just the floppy drive and video card connected.

5. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

Hard drive failure does not sound good.

O unplugged everything except cpu, ram, floppy, video card and hd..still same thing happening.

One thing was that my cpu was a bit loose but I couldent seem to put it back in..I could lift it up a bit and when I pushed down it went down a bit then sprung back up. I have no clue how tight it is supposed to be and I don't want to push too hard in case I break it.

But if I have a hd failure will this even matter?

Thanks for your quick response by the way, I am doing this as we speak =)

6. ~Candy~

Try it without the hard drive....

The cpu needs to be inserted firmly.....there's a fine line between pressing too hard and not having it inserted correctly....you'll have to tinker with that to be sure.

7. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

Tried it wothout harddrive. Computer doesn't even seem to recognise anything. It does the same thing no matter what I have plugged in..

Cpu is in as far as it will go, i can twist it a bit but thats it..I tried to take it out and put it back in but can't see to get the thing out. The cpu fan spins and all so Im not sure if thats the problem.

sigh

8. ~Candy~

Is it possible to try the video card in another slot.....

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's sounding more and more like the motherboard, cpu or ram. Do you have any other ram you can try?

9. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

I tried it using the on board graphics..no use. No other slot for grpahics card. I have tried all ram I have from this comp and that one. The computer doesn't recognise anything. gar I didn't change anything or move it so I have no clue what could even have caused it to start the clicking sounds. I have tried everything suggested here and in other posts.

I tried using the power lead from this comp but it still does the same thing, no power to anything but the cpu and hardrive (which isnt making any noises I can hear)

10. ~Candy~

Then, it looks like we're down to the motherboard or cpu......sorry, I can't think of anything else that would give you these results.

11. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

How do I "reseat" the cpu?

Last thing I'm trying before tonight, heh. =)

12. ~Candy~

Basically, you take it out, and put it back in securely.

I'm assuming that you are grounding yourself from any static electricity and unplugging everything from the power before you are playing around inside.......

13. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

Yes I am grounding and it's unplugged =)

Thanks for all your help. Time to ring up the company it's bought from, this thing is like 3 weeks old.

I shall let you know what it was if I get it fixed. =)

14. Tonio

Tonio Thread Starter

The problem was that the hardrive was faulty and shortcircuited the motherboard.

Just to let you know =)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice