1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer booting after BIOS...

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Bud Norris, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bud Norris

Bud Norris Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP on a MICRO-STAR motherboard with BIOS ver. 3.6 from American Megatrends Inc. I've had this setup since 2004 and it's worked just fine.
    Lately It's encountered a "slight" problem. Upon booting it starts in BIOS with the Chipset flash screen but then takes up to a minute or sometimes more to start Windows looking for devices.
    For years previously it took only about five seconds or so to start Windows. When I first encountered this problem I thought my Computer was kaput and locked up in BIOS since the Chipset logo was constantly shown.
    After screwing around for some period of time I decided to let to machine just soak for a while and low and behold it eventually booted to Windows.
    Now it boots just fine "after" a delay between BIOS Chipset logo display and Windows start of at least a minute. And sometimes during a "restart" it will boot without the long delay as it used to do. Which is why I call it a "slight" problem
    Does anyone have any idea what happened that causes the long delay before Windows starts?

P.S.
    I do have Windows 7 installed on another drive. However the problem is between BIOS and Windows start device identifying. I know this because only after all devices are identified is the MBR opened so I can select which version of Windows (XP or WIN7) I want to open. I've had this setup for a long time and before the "slight" problem.

Thanks for any suggestions, if any.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Check your disk for errors and corruptions using CHKDSK and even the maker's tools.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Indeed, find out the manufacturer of the hard drive and run their full drive diagnostics to check the status of the drive(s).

4. Bud Norris

Thanks to all who replied. I did go to the manufacturer about my problem and they did reply. However what they sent me I could not understand.
    I talked to their tech support people and they recommended I not try to update my BIOS because of the age of my Motherboard (2004).

Now here is a very strange thing: I have two S-ATA CD drives that I've had since 2006. They both disappeared from "My Computer" and would not work. After much repair attempts I discovered BIOS has some settings for installing SATA drives.
    I had set them in 2006 and kept a copy of the settings so I knew what was wrong. I saw immediately what changed and reset the changed item. This solved the problem with the SATA drives. Now how could the BIOS change without me doing it?

In case you're wondering, here is what MSI sent on my BIOS problem inquiry: (See if you understand it)
    MSI Tech.02/24/2015you already have the latest mb bios: http://us.msi.com/support/mb/875P_NeoFISR_PCB_2.0.html#down-bios Please try with clearing the cmos setting on Jbat1 jumper/SW1 Switch or removing the battery on the mb out for 1 minute and put it back in with power off. Please test out the mb and components outside the case with mb box to support the board. This can prevent any short or grounding problem to the mb and the components. Try with swapping other components like the processor/memory/power supply/video card with other working system components to limit down and defective components installed into the system board. Remove all connection/installation of add on cards, drives, and extra cable connection from the mb. Try with bare minimum components installed only. If all steps have been tried and problem still persists then please kindly refer to our website for manufacturer warranty RMA info/request:

I think I will just leave well enough alone!
    Thanks again!

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Their suggestions do make sense.

They say you already have the latest BIOS version.

They want you to clear the CMOS buy using the jumper or by removing the battery.

They suggest taking the motherboard out of the case to make sure there is not short.

And they suggest swapping out the rest of the components to make sure there is no compatibility issues.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tested the hard drive like we suggested?

7. Bud Norris

No. I haven't done much of anything because I don't particularly want to dismantle my computer again OR somehow totally screw up my motherboard's BIOS. I had to remove the motherboard once before when it failed under warranty and it took quite a while to remove.
    All I have done is fix the BIOS problem with my SATA drives on Monday. However I went into my SpyBot program on Tuesday where I had quarantined a lot of items in January and purged all of the older items since I wasn't sure what affect they might have on my system.

Now with making myself appear as a complete fool I can tell you the ChipSet logo delay is gone. My computer now once again boots into drive identification within 3 or 4 seconds.

I really do appreciate all the help and suggestions you gave me.

Maybe I'm the proof that even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while!

Thanks again to all!

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Testing the hard drive does not require you take apart the computer or go into the BIOS.

In fact you can do it right from Windows for most drives.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice