Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Computer Boots, But Nothing On The Monitor

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  ~Candy~ 
#1 ·
This has stumped me.
A friend had this computer and it was working fine .The modem went out and she doesnt know the first thing about computers. She tried installing the modem and it didnt work for her. She called me. I cut the computer on, and the power lights are on, you can hear the fans running and the hard drive running, but nothing on the monitor. The monitor lights are on..so I got it home and hooked it up to my monitor..the same thing. I tried a couple of other cords that go to the monitor and the tower and still nothing. Someone told me that it might be the video card, so I took the case off and I dont see a video card, I assume that its onboard... I checked all the wires on the inside and everything is plugged into the slots good. I don't have a clue.
Could I get a video card for this computer if its made into the motherboard? There are a bunch of empy slots in there, but I have no idea what they are for. And if I can, I have seen AGP and PCI? How do I know which one to get?

I am a novice at this stuff myself.
Thanks in advance,
Sherry

#3 ·
Well, if the monitor plugs into the main circuit board in the computer - called the motherboard, then try reseating the RAM modules. These should be about 4 inch x 1 inch sticks in slots on the motherboard. If the monitor plugs into a removeable card, try pulling it out and putting it back in.

You can can also try clearing the CMOS, either by temporarily moving the CLR CMOS jumper on the motherboard or by temporarily removing the CMOS battery and then replace either one to the proper place before powering on the computer.

You can also try removing the modem and see if the computer boots up. Also does the computer beep at any point? Can you try another powersupply - the box that the power cable plugs into?

#4 ·
The video card is made into the motherboard. It does not seperate from it. I reseated the RAM modules and nothing. I unplugged the CLR CMOS jumper on the motherboard and plugged it back on..still nothing. I removed the modem and started it up ..nothing. I see the battery but I cant get it off. It is a Compaq Presario 9240.

#6 ·
I have already tried all of those things. There is nothing on the inside that comes out but the modem and the memory. I unplugged the keyboard and the mouse and powered it up and still no picture.
Both fans are running.
I know the monitor works cause it goes to my computer and I have checked and checked it just to make sure.
It is something but I just cant figure this one out.

#10 ·
ok I unplugged everything that I found and reseated it...turned on the computer and still nothing. I dont know about the power supply connector to the motherboard. I dont know where it is at, but if it is where be seen, I unplugged it and reseated it.....lol
Do you know if this is what happens when the video card goes out? or am I looking at another problem all together?

#13 ·
I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!! lol
It was the video that went out. I bought a video card and plugged it in and .....it came right on.
All I can figure out is that the girl I got it from put the modem in the wrong slot and burnt something up in there. I really dont have a clue. Any knowledge on this would be arreciated. I would really like to know what could have happened to make the video go out like that.
Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.