[SOLVED] Computer can't see itself on network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

holtzmjh

I have a wireless network set up. I'm trying to share files between computers. One of the computers works fine and can see itself when it goes to My Network Places, but the other computer doesn't see itself when it goes to My Network Places. When I go to View Workgroup Computers I get an error. Any help would be appreciated.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What happens if you try to view workgroup instead of my network places? Do you have the XP firewall turned off? And something shared?

holtzmjh

That screenshot is what happens when I try to view workgroup. XP firewall is turned off and something is shared. On the other computer I, when I go to My network places, it can see itself, this computer cannot.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
In device manager, does the nic card appear there without any exclamation marks?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Any way of testing that nic card on another computer?

holtzmjh

Actually, it's one of those USB wireless network cards. I guess I could move it to my other computer to test it. I'll try it.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
That card doesn't work on another computer as well?

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, make sure you turn of XP's firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

Also it typically can take a few minutes for a browse master to be elected for a workgroup. You might wait a while before you start to browse.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting works fine so there is no need to change that either.

holtzmjh

AcaCandy: I tried a new USB wireless device with my computer and had no luck.

Bob Cerelli: checked all the stuff you listed and it all worked.

The problem is the computer can't see itself in the My Network Places view. Before I switched to the USB wireless adapter I was hard connected to the network and had no problems seeing all the computers. I hooked back up the cable to the computer and hard connected to the router and the network worked fine again. So, it has something to do with the wireless connection, however, I did the same thing with my other computer on the network and it can see it self just fine.

Side note: I can ping the other computer and the router, but the other computer can not ping me. No firewalls are enabled. Thanks for all your help

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You are familiar with the XP built in firewall, correct?

Glad it worked and thanks for letting us know.

That's kinda of why I created that list in the order it is in. Help flush out those configuration errors early on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online