1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer crashes while using DeFrag (BSOD mentions viamraid.sys)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yuval, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yuval

yuval Thread Starter

Hi,

For some reason my computer crashes whenever I try to scan my computer for viruses or use Windows' Disk Defragmenter, or even try to uninstall some programs. (Specifically, OpenOffice and America's Army Operations)

My Operating System is:
    Windows XP: Home Edition
    Service Pack 2

It took some work, but I succeeded in copying the error message received in the Blue Screen Of Death which is shown after the crash:
    After that message, I got some more info out of Windows’ error reporting program.
    Here is the info it sent in the report:

What can I do?

Many thanks,
    ~Yuval

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Try defragging in safe mode.
    Reboot / Re-start the computer.
    Tape the F8 key once a second. When the Startup menu appears, using the up / down arrow keys, highlight "safe mode". Press the "enter" key on your keyboard.
    Left click on your user name. Enter a password if you usually enter a password.
    Left click on the "ok" or "yes" button that tells you that the computer is running in safe mode.
    Try to defrag.
    Report the results to this forum.

Boot to normal mode.
    Connect to the internet.
    Open Internet Explorer.
    In the address bar, type: www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
    Click on "scan your pc".
    Left click "check now" button.
    Select your country & state / province, if applicable. Enter a valid email address.
    Left click "scan now" button.
    You will receive a notice, which may be in form of a thin, yellow, "information bar" that ActiveX needs to be installed. Accept this offer. You may see a notice that the page contains post data & may not be able to be refreshed. Click "ignore" or "ok" or "try again" or similar.
    When AcitveScan has finished loading, left click "my computer". When the results are finished, save the report. Save the report.
    Post the report in your next reply.

Sincerely,
    RF123

3. yuval

yuval Thread Starter

Thanks!

I did as you suggested, and the results are:

1. Unfortunately, Defrag made my computer crash in safe mode as well.

2. I ran the test and and attached the results. (It appears that I have a lot of spyware in my computer! :O)

Can you figure anything out of these results?

Attached Files:

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Let us wait for someone skilled at spyware removal comment on your activescan

1. When did the problem begin?

2.a. When were you last able to defrag without problems?

2.b. Have you ever been able to defrag successfully?

Take a look at
    http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=DR...=UTF-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&fr=moz2

and

http://www.google.com/search?q=DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL viamraid.sys

Which motherboard is in your computer?

Which video / graphics card is in your computer?

Sincerely,
    RF123

5. yuval

yuval Thread Starter

Thanks for the links. :)

1. Unfortunately, I can't tell. :( It has been a few months since I noticed it, though, and I didn't defrag regularly so that I would be able to point out the exact time when it stopped working.

1a. I believe that about 6-12 months ago. I can't really remember since it has been a while*.

1b. Yes, definitely. I used to do it twice a week in the time shortly after I bought this computer, (About two years ago) and kept doing it less frequently for a few more months.

* - I stopped defragging for a while because my HD was overloaded and Defrag told me it'll work inefficiently if I started it anyway. So I waited until I could Burn a few things to DVD and get them off my hard drive before I

My motherboard is: MSI PT880 Neo-LSR
    My graphics card is: MSI GeForce FX5200 128 DDR

I'll check out these links you gave me soon, thanks! :)

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

You are welcomed.

RF123

7. yuval

yuval Thread Starter

Ok, I reinstalled and updated right about every device I have in my computer (Which were quite a few :)) and the problem disappeared. :)

I don't know what caused it to begin with, but now Defrag works fine and everything seems to be in order. :)

Thank you very much! :) (Again)

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476848