1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer creating radio interference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spartan red, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spartan red

spartan red Thread Starter

My computer is creating interference on my neighbours
    radio on mediumwave only when plugged into the mains
    electricity supply 240volts.
    A new 350watt power supply in my computer has made a
    big difference but still getting some interference, it seems to
    be transmitted back through the mains electrical supply, what else can I try?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can start by making sure you have a solid and proper ground, since most of the EMI supression will fail if you don't. If grounding is not the issue, you'll have to look into more exotic EMI measures. I'm betting that grounding is the major issue here. You can also use an isolation transformer or UPS, it'll add a layer of EMI supression between you and the rest of the world.

3. spartan red

Thanks for the reply I will start checking the grounding
    of the electrical supply

4. spartan red

Sorry should have done this ages ago.
    After checking my neighbours radio it was so old it was not up to date with anti interference components,his brand new hi-fi worked perfectly.
    He bought a new portable radio it worked fine.

According to a work friend who is a technician,he stated most radio interference is caused by a power supply when I had the power supply unit changed on my computer I made sure the components used inside the unit complied with the regulations of as many countries as possible 15 in total so it would not generate any or very little radio interference.

Also any radio that is old or inexpensive may not have up to date anti interference components. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice