1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Dead after 3 weeks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anoman05, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

I built a new computer 3 weeks ago, and had it up and running fine. I was even using it last night to watch movies. I woke up this morning to turn it on, and got a little surprise. It will not boot up. When I hit the power button all the fans kick in the LEDs turn on, and then seconds later it turns off by itself. Nothing shows up on my monitor, in fact my monitors power LED blinks as if there is nothing connected to it. I am afraid this is a serious problem. Which piece of hardware might I have to replace?

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

what are the specs of oyur machine?

OK basics first just to make sure, remove, and reseat graphics card aswell as memory and test again.
    Next if the machine is just powering down after a few seconds it might be an idea to test another PSU in the machine just to make sure its either a faulty power unit or not enough voltage for the machine.

Once this has all been tested and proven futile your left with 2 choices, Motherboard or CPU
    Now If you get to this point and its still doing the same thing no matter what, id be very tempted to say motherboard. Normally with a CPU failure the monitor would sit as if in Standby mode with no visual indication the machine is booting up whether or not you get power and see the led lights on, hear fans and even HDD spinning.
    Even if the cpu had overheated or Fried you would probably get a bit longer than a few seconds before the machine powered down, hence the problem will then lie with the Motherboard

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

Well, my first suggestion would be to check every connection inside. There is a chance something became loose. Basically, "rebuild" the computer by checking every connection you made.

4. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

Specs: Asus P5N-D motherboard, Intel Quad Core Q6600, BFG Geforce 8800GT, 3GB Corsair Ram, Antec 550W PSU, 660 GB WD HD, Lightscribe DvD Drive.

I will try what you recommended and let you know.

5. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

I checked the Video Card and Memory and still the same thing. I press the power button, fans kick in, LEDs light up, then instantly it turns off. I will check the PSU next.

6. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

I have two computers with same specs, could I just switch CPU to test it without formatting or anything?

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

If you have two systems, you can test ram, graphics card CPU and power supply in other computer. If all is well, your motherboard is most likely the issue.

8. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

Ok I'm going to test the CPU in the other comp.

9. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

Here is what I did.

1. Brought my CPU to other comp. It booted up, just prompting me that a new CPU had been installed. (CPU is fine?)

2. Brought my entire system to the other comps motherboard, which is the same as my comp. I started it and it got as far as the first startup screen and shut down as before. (PSU to blame?)

3. Switched my 550W Antec with my other 550W Corsair. Comp started up fine, just with a prompt asking me to go to last known configuration.

This all points to the PSU right? I hope not because I sent in for a mail in rebate and cant return it! Please give me some feedback as I really am new to this whole thing.

This is the Antec PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103941

10. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

I want to try one more thing.

Install everything back on my motherboard, and switch out the PSU to see if it is in fact the PSU.

11. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

Definitely the PSU, thanks for the help.

12. shinybeast

shinybeast

Sorry about the loss. Your welcome.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

Contact Antec. Whether you sent your paperwork in for the rebate should have nothing to do with the manufacturers warranty.

Just have the receipt of purchase and Antec should replace the unit.

14. Anoman05

Anoman05 Thread Starter

Ok thanks win2kpro

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice