1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer does not boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ronn79, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronn79

ronn79 Thread Starter

I was playing around with a software called AiBooster. It came with my motherboard (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe). I used the NOS feature of the software and applied the 110% setting. After that my computer locked up so I restarted it but now nothing boots up. I can enter the bios setup but thats all I can do.

I hope someone can help :confused:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That program overclocks the CPU, so there is no telling what may have happened. Overclocking of any kind can mean overheating and the death of parts. The fact that you can get into BIOS is encouraging, but not a promise of future things.

What happens when you try to boot?

3. ronn79

ronn79 Thread Starter

Just a blank screen. However, I turned off the comp and unplugged it for about half an hour. I turned it on again and this time it booted up but then froze again. Now i'm in the same boat again.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like it's overheating. Try letting it sit again. Be sure when you turn it on that all the fans are running and all air vents are clear. If you can, you might even open up the side and blow a fan onto the CPU and graphics card area to see if that helps you get in to remove that program. If you changed any settings with it, change them back before removing it.

In BIOS, if you see a setting for "default" set it there.

5. ronn79

ronn79 Thread Starter

What will setting the bios to default do? I will try the fan thing and get back to you. Thanks.

6. reezin14

reezin14

It will reset bios back to factory setting before you overclock it.And should allow you to go back to a time when everything was working.

7. ronn79

ronn79 Thread Starter

I set the bios to default. Everything is good now! Thanks

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great! That Ai program claims to be able to overclock without having to go through BIOS, but I figured that didn't mean you couldn't undo it through BIOS.

Don't overclock unless you are prepared to lose things. Be happy with your machine and use more customary means of speeding things up. Overclocking only shortens the machine's life. If you need more speed that much, save up and get a faster machine.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

9. reezin14

reezin14

That's great,be very careful when OCing looking at guides can help. You should adjust the setting a little at a time(then let your PC run for awhile) to see what is stable for your setup,so you don't fry your components.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, if you insist on OC'ing, at least be prepared for the smoke to come out and take the time to look around at the overclockers groups to see what worked and what didn't.

'Overclocking" is just that, running components at higher speeds (and temperatures) than the manufacturer recommends. They don't just make up those numbers off the tops of their heads, but they do build in some leeway.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I found that AiBooster program on the Asus site along with other driver downloads. So it wasn't just some crackpot program running around the net--they actually supply it to people. You'd think it would work better than it did, under the circumstances. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!