1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Computer Does Not Recognize Video Card. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Davewave, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davewave

Davewave Thread Starter

I just bought 128 RAM for my Sony Vaio (733mhz) and twice, after installing the Ram, it didn't boot. Rather the request for a system disc appeared. So, then I took out the RAM (figuring I had bought the wrong brand) and now the computer doesn't recognize the video card / connection to the monitor. The typical check your signal connection message keeps appearing. I tested the video card on another computer and it works fine. I'm worried that the RAM somehow blew the mother board or the video slot.

Has this happened to anyone and if so do you have any insight on how I may work past it and get my machine to function again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. wedor

wedor

More likely something else was knocked loose inside the system causing a no-boot condition which sends a video signal error to the monitor, not video card related at all. Check all other connections first.

3. Davewave

Davewave Thread Starter

Ok, I'll check the other connections. Perhaps, the other Ram got knocked loose? Would that prevent the video signal from being recognized. The machine actually does turn on and act like it's going through a boot up cycle, it just doesn't recognize the video signal and thus provides me with no viewable area.

Davewave

4. wedor

wedor

Yes, if the RAM was knocked loose you would have that problem.

5. Davewave

Davewave Thread Starter

Well there was a few things that got knocked loose. The connection of the harddrive to the motherboard. I tried booting up the computer with those things plugged in and the extra RAM but I got the same problem (no video signal). I took out the extra RAM but again no video signal.

Any other advice is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Davewave

6. wedor

wedor

Are you certain everything is plugged in exactly as it was? if the hard drive connection is reversed it won't start either. Do you get any beeps?

7. Davewave

Davewave Thread Starter

Actually, there was one more thing that needed to be plugged in but even after that I'm still not getting a proper boot up. There is no ding and the monitor just gives me the static "Check the Signal Connection Cable" message.

I tried to switch the connections of the Harddrive and CD to the mother board but that didn't help either.

Any other thoughts?

Dave

8. wedor

wedor

Well now it's time to try it with things unplugged. Unplug the drives, does it boot now?

9. Davewave

Davewave Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help! A friend came over and helped me out and it turns out that the Ram (for whatever reason) needed to be swapped slot wise.

Well, I'm up and running!

Thanks!

Dave

10. wedor

wedor

Good to hear, thanks for letting us know!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/89026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice