1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer doesn't boot (Overclocking Failed??!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrivatePC, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

So here is what happens. This moslty happens randomly, but this time it was after a power outage in my home. I restarted my computer and there was no boot up. I waited and waited and finally just restarted again. Everything booted up and it came up with a message saying "Over clocking failed". :confused:
    I know that I have TPU enabled on my motherboard for added performance. Now does this auto overclock my cpu? If so, why is it failing? Would it be easier for me to turn TPU off and just overclock through the Cati Control Center? I don't even know if it is doing anything extra..

Here is what I am running-
    Windows 7 Premium
    AMD Phenom ii x4 960t @ 3.00 Ghz
    HD Sapphire Radeon 6850 Crossfired
    700w PSU

And here is my mobo with the TPU and EPU functions http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A99X_EVO/
    NOTE: I am not using EPU.

2. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Here is a pic of CPU-Z.

Attached Files:

• cpu.png
      cpu.png
      File size:
      62.2 KB
      Views:
  3. dai

dai

what make and model psu

it sounds like it may have been damaged by a surge overclocking failed message is usually down to the psu

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It may not be a PSU problem. I've seen this message when the Ram is overclocked, then it will boot ok when restarted. Try it with TPU switched off. The FSB stock is 200MHz but it's been increased by TPU and is effectively overclocking the Ram as well as the Cpu.

5. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Yeah, when I restart it just acts normal again. It's weird.
    The psu isnt more then a year old, if that! Not even.
    It's a ModxStream Pro.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Your CPU has an unlocked multiplier so all you do is raise the multiplier to overclock. What memory are you running?

7. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Unlocked multiplier? What's that? I think the cores are already unlocked? RIght? In the bios?? The other replier stated that I am in fact getting a boost in performance with TPU already. (the pic with the cpu-z)

I am running Patriot ram 8gb.

8. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The way that you're overclocking raises the FSB (front side bus) and it also raises the memory's speed. If you don't have memory that can overclock then you will have issuse like the one you are having. Unlocked multiplier is the cpu's multiplier which on most cpu's is locked, but on the Black Edition Phenom's the multiplier is unlocked. I should also mention that when raising the multiplier do it in increments of .05 (15.5-16...) and keep an eye on the cpus temps.

9. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I think I have 960t. Is that black edition? If I can remember correclty I had to get a new processor because my older one was defective and was overheating (causing my computer to freeze) terrible experience. I think it was because it was my first time building a computer and I had a hard time getting the cpu fan on.. :/

10. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Okay I remember now. It was the Phenom II 955 black edition. It had bent pins or something they sent it back to me when they put in the newer processor. (Those processors need extra care)

But I think I ran into the problem. My computer only seems to freak out when I completely power down, then back on. That's when it doesn't boot. But then the second time it boots up giving me the error and it sends me to the bios. I usually click on the ASUS turbo as my power speed and it resets and everything is fine. So i should be able to turn TPU off and do that exact same thing without the error message. Otherwise I will have to unlock it like you said. Which still I am a bit confused about.

11. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I turned off TPU and restarted. Brought me to the bios and I clicked on Asus Optimal. The CPU-Z gave me the exact same numbers. The computer doesn't give me that error message anymore and everything seems fine. BTw the picture isn't of my computer.

Attached Files:

12. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I had a question though. Does my motherboard support Intel cpu's or only AMD?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your board supports am3 and am3+ amd cpus; not intel cpus.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked and there are four bios updates that address stability issues. If you continue to have problems, I would consider updating the bios to the latest one.

15. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Okay because I know my PC supports Nvidia I didn't know if it supported Intel. And I try to stay away from bios updates. Too many thing can go wrong.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice