[SOLVED] computer doesn't recognize all new memory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RubyBoo

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 P4. It came with 2 64MB RDRAM modules and 2 continuity modules. I ordered 2 128MB RDRAM modules to increase my memory to 384MB. I replaced the continuity modules with the 2 128MB modules. On reboot the computer recognized I had a different amount of memory and asked if I wanted to run system setup or continue. I continued. I then checked system settings and it shows I have 256MB not the 384MB I should have. I reseated both new modules. Same thing. All modules are PC800. Why does it not recognize all my memory and what can I do? I'm running WIN ME. Thanks for your help.:)

Sounds like you are doing it correctly per their directions. Put the newer ones in where the old ones were and the old ones in the empty slots. Reboot and go into the BIOS instead of choosing continue. Look at the amount of memory showing in the summary screen and then save BIOS settings and reboot. Look at the memory count to see if it increments to the entire 384MB amount.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Have you tried placing the larger chips in the first 2 slots?

RubyBoo

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but: I left the original 2 64MB modules in the top 2 slots where they were and added the 2 128MB modules in the bottom 2 slots (replacing the continuity modules). They both snapped in just fine and the clips popped up. Is this what you were getting at?

RubyBoo

I will try placing the larger ones in the first 2 slots and the smaller ones in the last 2. Will also try system setup. Have to go to work right now though. Thanks to everyone. I will let you know if it works. There's no better place for tech support than this forum!

RubyBoo

I posted last week and tried solutions, but they didn't work. I have a Dell Dimension 8100, P4 came with 128 MB memory (2 64MB chips in slots 1 and 2 with continuity modules in slots 3 and 4). I added 256MG memory by replacing continuity modules with 2 128MB modules. This should have given me 384MB memory. When I rebooted the computer only recognized 256 MB memory.
I followed recommendations to put the 2 128 modules in slots 1 and 2 and the 2 64 MG modules in slots 3 and 4. I rebooted and entered system setup. Computer still only recognizes 256MG memory AND it shows nothing in slots 1 and 2 and 2 128 modules in slots 3 and 4? This is confusing. The system works OK, but when you pay for the memory you like to use it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Susan

RubyBoo

I am a dummy. It's my first experience with continuity modules. I thought RIMM slot 4 was actually RIMM slot 1. I removed what I though were the continuity modules, but were actually the memory modules. Reseated all memory modules, rebooted and all 384 MB memory recognized. It only took me a week to figure it out! Thanks for everyone's help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ruby, I've merged your 2 threads....in the future, just post back to your original thread so everyone who was helping or following along will know you've solved your problem.

Thanks for letting us know!

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online