Solved: Computer failing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

turbow5

Fixing my grandpa ancient machine and I can't figure out whats wrong with it!

Last time he had a blue screen it was hard drive failure. So that's the first thing I did, was to switch out the hard drive. That wasn't it. Next I switched out the PSU, that wasn't it either. Then a new CPU, still dieing (but now the heat sync fan wont budge, and its not tangled). Next is the motherboard unless someone can help me figure this out.

What it does is when you turn it on, it makes this high pitch winning sound, and the machine acts like its starting up. (fans, psu noise, ect.) 3 Seconds after start-up it dies, and wont turn back on unless you unplug it and plug it back in.

Computer - ABIT An8
(picture link (http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/abit_an8_v.jpg))

How old is it? Have you cleaned dust out of the CPU heatsink? A cpu can go from room temperature to 100 degrees in a few seconds (causing an emergency shutdown) if the heatsink is not corrected properly (thermal paste and firmly down) and/or has massive amounts of dust in it.

When you re-attatched the heatsink did you make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the cpu fan header on the motherboard?

"high pitch winning sound"

this sounds like a bad capacitor in the power supply

turbow5

I just unplugged 1 3 pin little (mini) fan and plugged the CPU fan there, and it worked. Ran it for 5 seconds and now the fan I unplugged got hot. When I turned it on though, I got no video.

Also I switched out the PSU to make sure it wasn't that.

Time for a new motherboard?

the fan for the cpu/heatsink has a SPECIFIC place it has to be plugged in the motherboard
also what power supply did u try? make/model

turbow5

the CPU fan is a 3 pin, and so is the little mini one nearby it. I unplugged the mini and put the CPU one there (where it wasn't originally) and it worked.

Original PSU - ISO -400 --300 watt

Switched from dell - hp-P2507f3p --All it says is max draw 250 watt

Original PSU is in there.

both power supplies are junk............ if u want to get it up and running i think u need to install a decent power supply.......... but that is a old computer!!!
do u want to spend money on it???

turbow5

Not my computer. The PSU are working for the ancient thing and I'm pretty sure my grandparents don't game. It's fine for them. So new motherboard? Since the fan wont run right.

That sounds like coil whine and it could be the PSU, motherboard or graphics card if you are running one. Is this an OEM or custom build? If OEM what make and model? If custom built then please list all the hardware?

Not trying to be funny or anything, but this is a classic example of when it's a good time just to get-rid. When one or more parts of a 6+ year old computer have gone faulty and it's just going to take more time to diagnose fix the problem than it's worth. What Amd_Man says is right, quite frankly it could be anything. Bearing in mind people are constantly throwing out perfectly good working computers that are just a bit old, it might be worth just looking on ebay for another locally.

Of course, this is a help forum and I'm happy to help you as are others. But for your own sake it might be worth considering a complete replacement.

turbow5

Again, not my computer. I don't think my grandparents have $400+ to spit out for a new computer when they could pay $60 for a new motherboard.

Anyways, the computer is a AMD 64 athlon. That's all it says. Can't exactly boot it up and see. I personally think it's the motherboard. Why else would the fan work in 1 3 pin, but not the other? (where its always been)

Again, not my computer. I don't think my grandparents have $400+ to spit out for a new computer when they could pay $60 for a new motherboard.
Sorry, I think you've misunderstood me. I meant, if your computer is old, if you buy another old computer that's reliable it is going to be very cheap/free as people want rid of them! I'm not suggesting you go out and spend $400, more like $40 (maximum) for one of a similar age. It's probably going to cost you that much to replace the motherboard or other component if that is the problem. Was just a suggestion!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online