Solved: Computer failing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
You can try a couple of things here. Unplug the power cord going to the power supply. Press the cases power on button to release any residual power. Take the memory out, plug the power cord back into the power supply and power up. With no memory installed it should give a series of beep codes (that's if a speaker is attached). Did it give one beep on power up when it was working?

turbow5

Sorry I misread what you meant, knowing them they don't buy anything new. If this computer magically busted in half they give me money to fix it. lol

@Amd_man. There are no speakers attached to it (he uses one of those screen with build in speakers, which I do not have) It doesn't beep anymore but when he first brought it, it did do a few beeps before it died. I'm guessing after I switched the CPU it stopped.

When you say "switched" the cpu do you mean you installed a different cpu? So you're sure it did give one single beep on startup before this happened? No beeps with no memory installed would indicate a failed motherboard. Did you do what I mentioned in post #16? Seeing as it's an older board you can check for bad capacitors.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

turbow5

Installed a new CPU of same brand/model.

Would it make beeps without the speakers? After I took the memory out and turned it on the first time before the CPU fan got up to speed it died, then the second time it was going. I shut it off after a few seconds.

You would need a speaker attached to the motherboard. Your case may have one or you need to attach one to diagnose. That's what BIOS beep codes are used for. There should be a LED display on the motherboard that will give an error code. Is it displaying one?

turbow5

The only LED display on the mobo this thing has is one display and it's always display 2 numbers as long as its plugged in.

I.E 2.2

I got speakers into them (neighbors, lol) No beeps, not one. Started it, and it died ~6 seconds later.

I can't find those error codes listed. Sounds like the power supply or the motherboard. Did you inspect for bad caps?

turbow5

That LED display is for showing POST error codes. There are different versions of the AN8 boards so they will look different. OEM means it's made for HP, Dell........ect and may not fit your case. You want the same socket number and the same dimensions as yours (ATX).

turbow5

Is there a way to see what type of RAM you have manually? I looked on the ram and there was no specific type. Want to make sure it fits the mobo.

It can takeThe memory slot will be the same. DDR. It can take a max of 4 gigs DDR 266/333/400.

turbow5

Ok. Thank you Amd_Man. I will post if the motherboard fixes it. Whenever it comes.

Glad it seems you've got it sorted, but just remember my advice that if the motherboard is going to cost the same as another old computer would, save yourself the hassle!

turbow5

Got the new motherboard installed and some of the wires were not labeled or coded, so I just stuck them in where there were pins left after installing the rest which may be the cause of this.

When I turn the computer on, it stays on for about 3 seconds then flashes off and turns back on with the fan spinning then 3 seconds later it flashes off and the fan turns back on and keeps going ect ect repeat process. Idea on that?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online