1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Fails to Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

I have recently acquired a fairly old computer (2006 ish) This is the current problem,

I plug it in and press the power button. The fans all come on but then it shuts down in about 6 seconds. If I then try and turn it on again nothing happens. I then unplug the power cable and leave it for about 10 seconds and then plug it in and turn it on it will then stay on for around 2 seconds and go back off again.

Could this be a power supply or overheating problem do you think? If not has any one got any idea what it could be?

Thanks Jack-O-Bytes

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post the system specs.

3. jack-o-bytes

I am not 100% sure of specs as I have been given this computer and it won't boot for me to find out.

This is what I can identify

Motherboard: Foxconn 661M08-FX
    RAM: 2GB PC3200 RAM
    Onboard Graphics
    PSU: Winpower 450w
    CPU: Unknown

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well the power supply could be suspect, the one you listed is a low quality unit. If you have a spare or at least another power supply you could easily test that theory.

5. jack-o-bytes

Yeah, I am going to do that later I am going out now though so I will report back when I have tried a different PSU. thanks.

6. jack-o-bytes

Yeah the PSU was the problem I have changed it with one out of my other computer and it has booted up fine. Do you think it could have been a motherboard problem that caused it to die so quickly. The PSU isn't powering anything spectacular only a P4 2.8GHz and 2GB of 400MHz ram.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I actually think it was just the low quality PSU.

8. jack-o-bytes

OK cool thanks. It is running great with a new PSU in it. The one I have got in it isn't exactly high quality though it is a 500w Dragon PSU that has been running my computer for about 2 years now. Voltages are pretty much perfect though. Thanks again. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice