1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer freezes and hangs what to do?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zonkvert, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zonkvert

zonkvert Thread Starter

Hello

I have tried addressing this problem before and now it seems worse :(

I am running windows xp sp2
    amd 800 with 1 gig ram and a 6600 saphire graphics card a dv/cd rom and a 80 gig WD harddrive.

I have downloaded lavasoft and avg

the computer is hanging a lot and it is not specific to a program or start up or anything as far as i can tell

i would like to have a plan of action to deal with this problem what steps ought I too take and what order.

Oh yes sometimes on startup the computer seems to miss the dv/cd rom I have replaced the cable and it still seems to sometimes find and lose the drive

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 4:19:46 PM, on 1/25/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    E:\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1169178212086
    O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

2. pietervanooijen

pietervanooijen

start with reinstalling os. Most likely a virus or bad software

3. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Hi zonkvert, NO NOT reinstall anything as yet.
    Your log looks extremely short. Have you gone into 'msconfig' and unchecked everything ?
    If so, go in again and recheck everything and post another HJT log.

4. bbearren

bbearren

Read the rules:

Log Analysis/Malware Removal - In order to ensure that advice given to users is consistent and of the highest quality, those who wish to assist with security related matters must first graduate from one of the malware boot camp training universities or be approved by the administration as already being qualified. Those authorized to help with malware issues have a gold shield next to their name. Anyone wishing to participate in a training program should contact a Moderator for more information.

5. grandma77

grandma77

Your highjackthis log is not complete. Maybe you should do another one and copy and paste the whole log into the security part of this forum. Someone there that deals with the highjackthis will read it and help you.

6. zonkvert

zonkvert Thread Starter

OH bOY

OK so i reinstalled the os and now i have two on the computer. on on c drive one on d drive. i am trying to format the d drive and it will not let me. how do i do that is it a good idea to get rid of one yes? and the computer is working muxh better has not hung yet :) other wise i can post a complete hjt log if need be.

7. grandma77

grandma77

I know nothing about formatting. You may have to start a new thread putting your problem with formatting in the subject line and hopefully someone will be able to help you. This is a totally different problem than you stated in this thread so it may be over looked here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!