1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer freezes at logo screen then reboots

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zakkuilla, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zakkuilla

Zakkuilla Thread Starter

My lady friend gave me her computer to fix. She gave me everything but the power cables, which I had, so I plugged everything in and started it up just fine. I checked the sound, which was the original reason she gave it to me to check out, worked fine. After about 20 minutes, the display went off. I had to turn the computer off by holding down the power button. I tried rebooting it again the next day and I am met with this:

http://tinypic.com/r/jslyds/6

I waited it out and the computer just reboots after about 10 minutes and freezes again at that logo screen.

I tried going into safe mode and this happened:

http://tinypic.com/r/2076gxi/6

I attempt to login in safe mode and the computer just reboots.

As far as system specs go I don't know them. Wasn't able to reboot to check.

Any idea why this is happening?
    [​IMG]

2. dai

dai

can you access the bios check the 12v line voltage and the cpu temp and post them

take the side off the case and look at the psu for

make
    model
    wattage

look at the video card for it's details make and model

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

is it a brand name computer hp dell ect.

if it is what is the make and model

3. Zakkuilla

Zakkuilla Thread Starter

PSU info:
    http://tinypic.com/r/vpb2pl/6

PSU Temp: 35C/95F
    12v Line: 12.03

Video Card:
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128m
    S/N 180416 016050

I don't have any blank disks at the moment so I won't be able to run that hard drive makers diagnostic tool.

It isn't a brand name computer. The case says Ultra so it may just be the case bought from then and parts put together, or built by them. I don't see any model numbers for it though.

4. dai

dai

what is on the psu label

5. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

One option is to access the F8 start menu and select "use the most recent settings that worked"

6. Zakkuilla

Zakkuilla Thread Starter

The PSU is made by Starlogic, i'm assuming. 400 watt. I don't see a model number on it. Already tried that foxidrive and nothing.

7. dai

dai

8. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

I'm curious why you suggest another PSU.

If I read it correctly:
    A) pc worked fine but with audio issues
    B) pc was powered off without safely shutting down EDIT: The screen going black - was it a blank screensaver?
    C) *then* pc stops booting up, locks up and freezes, video issues.

I'd suggest that the registry was corrupted when the power button was held down and that rolling back to a recent registry should allow the PC to boot normally again.

9. Zakkuilla

Zakkuilla Thread Starter

That is all correct Foxidrive. And no, it wasn't a screensaver at all. In those 20 minutes before the display shut down I was checking some things. The actual computer's display shut off, or it wasn't being fed through to the monitor or something. The monitor was on and said check display connection so I shut the computer down by holding down the power button. How exactly would I go about rolling back the registry?

10. dai

dai

from the f8 menu options

last known good configuration

symptoms are indicating heat or power

11. Zakkuilla

Zakkuilla Thread Starter

But that doesn't make sense to me because my girlfriend has had the computer for a while now and it has worked perfectly fine the whole time she had it, except the sound, which was actually her just plugging her speakers into the wrong sound card port..

I tired booting to the last known good configuration and i'm met with that same frozen logo screen..

12. dai

dai

try another psu and check the hard drive

13. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

One other option is that you can do a logged boot - to see which process is freezing.

If it is not a hardware issue (boot up a Linux LIVE cdrom and play youtube vids and music to test the hardware) then a repair install from the Windows cdrom is an option also.

14. Zakkuilla

Zakkuilla Thread Starter

So I finally got my hands on a windows cdrom (xp professional, same as what is on the computer already) to try a repair install. I put it in the dvd drive, changed the boot order to boot from cdrom first in the bios, restarted the computer and the computer won't even boot from a cd. I have no idea why. It says boot from disk in the splash screen, I try pressing any key to start it, it does nothing and goes to the "start windows normally" screen (not f8, don't know what it is called).

Edit: I am able to boot into safe mode for some reason though, if that helps. I do have the graphical errors from before though (original post)

15. dai

dai

is the disk genuine or a burnt one

check the disk is clean of fingermarks ect.

have you tried another psu

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!