1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer freezes up on a regular basis...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EeeDeeRN, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

...Im accessing this site while in Safe mode with networking because of the frequent freezes in regular mode. Im running Windows XP pro and recently installed a new hard drive and video card. All seemed to go well until I noticed a game crashing and when trying to trouble shoot the problem, the computer freezes any time I try to do something. THe only drivers I have installed are for the video card and the onboard sound (found an outdated sound card that was XP incompatible so trashed it and loaded drivers for onboard sound...BIOS was changed to reflect that. The GeFOrce driver is the one that came with the card. GeForce 6600 LE 256MB

Im about ready to strip the hard drive down, uninstall everything and start over! Its THAT frustrating!

Please help!

2. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

Perhaps I placed this in the wrong forum. I am in need of help and want to be sure to put it in the right place for that. ANy ideas where I need to be placing this request?

Thanks

Deb

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you can start in safe mode, then the problem is either a driver or some software that is loading at startup.

I'd suggest unchecking everything via start, run, msconfig, startup tab. If all is well, then put things back one by one. (Make a list of the things that you unchecked).

If things aren't better with everything unchecked, you probably have the wrong video drivers installed.

4. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

Thanks Candy,

I removed all the checks next to the startup menu and restarted. As I reviewed the system config box that came up, I noticed that one box was checked again. it was startup NvCpl with command Rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\NcCpl.dll, NvStartup

While I was brousing this window, the computer froze again.

The video driver that Windows XP found for my Video Card is the one that is on the CD that came with the card. Do I need roll back to an older version?

Deb

5. jhoegl

jhoegl

You can download newer drivers from nvidia.com, but I doubt that will help.

I wonder how big your power supply is.

6. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

I have a 500W power supply.

7. jhoegl

jhoegl

bah, well its not going to be that easy then, hehe.

8. ~Candy~

I'd search for updated drivers from Nvidia.

9. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

Is there any chance that this could be a virus or spyware that my programs are not finding that is contributing to this problem? I can do a hijack this. but it will have to be from safe mode.

Deb

10. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

I found the newest driver from Nvidia for my card dated June 29, 2006 and as I was installing it, I got the Windows XP incompatability message. Didnt see that one when I initially installed the video card with drivers that came with it. I stopped the installation. :-(

11. jhoegl

jhoegl

you can ignore the windows compatability message. All that is, is windows attempt to gain control of the drivers by testing them in house before they "autheticate" them. This generally takes a long time, but when nVidia releases 3 drives a month it gets bad.

So, just continue anyway on that.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

13. natcom

natcom

14. EeeDeeRN

EeeDeeRN Thread Starter

A memory test? No. I JUST added another gig of Ram a couple of weeks ago too. Would be interesting to see the use of my memory wouldt it? Ive never done it before but Ill get on it when I get home from work.

Thanks much!

15. ~Candy~

A memory test, tests for BAD ram ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice