1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nocluejoe, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nocluejoe

nocluejoe Thread Starter

Gateway GT5408 - Vista home 32bit - 3GB ram

Computer will run from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours then it "locks up". The only way to shut down is with the power button. If left alone for an hour it will turn back on. If i try to reboot right after shut down because of lock up it beeps three times and does not boot.

I have ran HJT, Malwarebytes, and ESET scan with no infections found

Gateway support site says three beeps is memory issue. Ran Memtest86+ and it reports good RAM.

If after shut down, and attempt reboot and get three beeps, I can unplug the machine, discharge power, remove RAM, reseat, and computer will boot fine.

Ram issue even thought memtest86+ successful?? motherboard issue?? don't have a clue. any thoughts welcomed.

ncj

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a power supply issue, or a motherboard issue as you mention.

Do you have access to another power supply to try?

Have you made sure the CPU heatsink is not loose, clean of dust, and working?

3. nocluejoe

nocluejoe Thread Starter

will dig around for power supply, might have one, will test tonight if i do.

CPU heatsink is out of my realm of knowledge. will i be able to google and get info needed to check?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The heatsink with attached fan sits on top of the CPU, hard to miss. Make sure its not loose, has no wobble, has no dust build up, and the fan is still spinning on it.

5. nocluejoe

nocluejoe Thread Starter

heatsink looks fine.
    powersupply switched

I am getting error:

Event ID: 7009. A timeout was reached (3000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Intel DH servie to connect. Seems to be around the time the system freezes.

Could it be the same as this?:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/881575-solved-bios-lockup.html

Now that i look at the ram closer - one of the chips is a 2GB chip. I do not see on this system specs on gateway site where it came with more than a 1GB chip. Could someone's "help" by upgrading my RAM have caused this issue??

or what do you think i could look at next?

ncj

6. catlady13

catlady13

I looked at Kingston site for that model and they do not list a chip larger than 1GB per slot for it. I would try taking out the 2 GB chip and see if that works.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  8. nocluejoe

nocluejoe Thread Starter

ram is 2gb + 512 mb + 512 mb

I am going to order 2 - 1GB chips and see if this corrects the issue.

i guess i should close this for now, and then reference if ram does not fix issue.

thanks for all the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice