1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Freezing during boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bfjacobs, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

I am having a problem with booting up my pc. It will get where you see the 98 screen and then freeze. Also if I go into the bios setup and set there for about 2 minutes, it freezes up. I hear the hard drive starting on boot up, and I tried to get the pc to boot from a floppy, but that will not work.

Asus A7VE
    Duron 1GHz
    Radeon 7000
    512 MB
    13GB main drive
    20GB secondary drive

I was able to check the temp of the cpu in the bios and it was only reading 85F.
    I also removed the battery to reset the bios.

Anyone have any ideas.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Can you boot into safe mode? Press F8 when booting to enter safe mode.

If so, try pressing F8 when booting, choose the command lane. then try typing "scanreg /restore" and choosing a restore point before the time it stopped booting correctly..

3. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

I can get to where it'll start opening the desktop in safe mode, then freeze up on me. The mouse and keyboard are froze up also.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If it won't boot into safe mode, what I'd do is try reinstalling windows over your old installation.. Notice I said "over".. When installing windows, windows will try to install itself to a different directory, just change it to the directory your windows is useing now.. If it still doesn't work, your best bet may be a format and reinstallation..

5. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

I can't install windows again, it won't let me boot up and run anything for over 2 minutes.

Any more ideas?

6. winbob

winbob

Are you booting from a Floppy, w/CDROM support, or still trying to boot from the HD??

7. rickmac

rickmac

Well... could be your power supply.....

8. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

I've tried booting from HD, CD, FD. All three have the same problem with the screen freezing up after about 2 minutes.

I've tried the floppy with/without cd support.

As far as the ps, wouldn't things start to shut down? Everything is lit up and fans still going.

I'm stumped on this one. Never had this happen before.

9. rickmac

rickmac

You see, this is hardware related(DOH!)<-not for you, just trying to be funny.
    If it freezes when you sit in the BIOS screen when it is virtually doing nothing... You been running this overclocked? Try pulling out all the cards('cept video, of course) and unplugging all the drives 'cept the floppy. Disable the "on-board" stuff. Does it still freeze sitting in the BIOS? If it does, then it is memory, CPU or motherboard. Try reseating the memory chips. If you have more than one memory chip, try running it on with one chip. Process of elimination.... Can you boot into DOS mode with the floppy and play with some of the programs? HINT: try copying a floppy a coupla times. Then re-install one thing at a time and reboot after each item, hard drive first and see if you can boot your OS without it freezing. Yes, power supplies can boot a computer and then have voltage drops when they "warm up".

10. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

Ok, I'll give your suggestion a try to see what happens.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure that temp is 85F?

12. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

Yes. That is what the bios said at the time. It freeze up within 2 minutes or so and then I'd shut the pc down so that I could see if I could find anything out.

And I checked the temp after trying to boot up maybe 10 times.

I was just hoping there was something I was missing as I really can't afford to go replacing parts at this time as I am unemployed, so any help will be great.

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

While you are in bios before it freezes, have you tried setting defaults, save changes then exiting?

The reason I asked about temp, is that many bios setups show temps in C, and 85C would be vastly different than 85 F ;)

14. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

No, it was 85F. in the bios. (My bios on the pc shows both C and F.)

And I'll try to set the defaults in the bios and see what happens.

15. bfjacobs

bfjacobs Thread Starter

UPDATE: Changed out PS and removed modem. So far no change.

I can start to boot with the floppy and have set the bios to default.

Still no changes.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice