1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer freezing - how to use diagnostic tools

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zeropoints, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeropoints

zeropoints Thread Starter

Hello,

let me tell you the problem first. In the beginning my pc showed sometimes disk read error, boot img when I turned it on. Sometimes it starts without problems. Then while working it would freeze and show blue screen of death many times.

So I did away with Windows 7 and clean installed Windows 8 and formatted all other drives. Now there is no blue screen of death (yet), disk read error came up only once (while installing photoshop), but the computer freezes a lot. Like when I opened 11th tab in Chrome or sometimes just randomly. it freezes and restarts and then gets stuck at the screen which comes up when we should press boot key.

Now I want to figure out if it's my HDD or RAM or something else that is creating these problems? I downloaded SpeedFan and Memtest86 but can't understand how to use them. So any tool that can present log files to paste data here so experts can analyze it would be great.

Thanks.

2. zeropoints

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go back to the memtest site and follow the directions for making a bootable disk. Then boot from that and run the test.

Test RAM first - all other tests use RAM, so their results are suspect if RAM is bad.

Then, if RAM is OK, run a drive test from the manufacturer.

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

[​IMG]

The most common causes of freezing are bad RAM, bad drivers, or overheating. Make sure all vents are clean and unimpeded, and that fans are working.

4. zeropoints

Ok I installed the USB package of memtest86. I can't seem to change boot sequence in Windows 8. I have tried all keys individually F1, F2, F8, F10, F12, Esc, Del but none of them bring up boot screen or bios menu. what's wrong?

I have also tried Windows 8 advanced settings > troubleshoot > change advanced settings > but there is no option to change boot sequence. Only mention for boot is in Enable Boot logging.

is there any other key to be pressed? or how can I change boot sequence in Win 8

Also can you confirm how many passes I should run the test for?

5. zeropoints

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The boot sequence is part of the BIOS or UEFI, not Windows. What computer or motherboard do you have? Are you using a USB or PS2 keyboard? Older systems may need a PS2 keyboard to access the BIOS or Boot Menu.

7. zeropoints

Motherboard is of MSI - MS-7641

If you have used Windows 8 you will know that it provides a function from Advanced Restart to restart the pc to bring up the Boot screen. I checked online videos and they seem to have a button called UEFI which I am missing in Windows 8 so can't restart through this new feature either.

Is there any other way I can bring up the boot screen?

8. zeropoints

I have been able to run Memtest86. will post a reply here as soon as the test makes 3-4 passes.

9. zeropoints

Ok, memtest86 has completed 6 passes and reports no error yet. I think we can safely conclude that memory is fine. Since I have a clean install of Windows 8, I assume the error is not due to system files or a virus/malware.

Is there any hard drive diagnostic tool to check the drive for errors? Or what should be my next step?

guys thanks for your replies.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure. Open the case and find out who mfg the drive; ie WD, Seagate, etc. Go to their site and download the diagnostic app. Usually you will be given a choice of dos/boot version and a windows version. I recommend using the boot version since it removes windows from the problem.

Next post your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This info should be available in the bios.

It looks like you have an older amd system. If it is pretty old, it is not going to be able to properly support win8. As an example, win8 is not supported by the nforce4 chipset.

11. zeropoints

I had purchased the computer just an year back so it has all latest offerings. It is not related to Windows 8 as I have said earlier that even with Windows 7 the same error was occuring. Though is there any way I can confirm the operating system is not causing this?

Drive manufacturer is Seagate. I have downloaded Seatools for DOS from here

can you please check if that is the correct download?

Right then I downloaded ISOtoUSB and burned the downloaded Seatools iso as a bootable on my USB. I have boot sequence with USB being the first.

I am receiving this error message
    "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't cntain an operating system. press any key to restart"

Press any key and it loads Windows 8 just fine.

What I am doing wrong here?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, post ALL of your exact specs; ie exact mb, cpu, pw supply, etc. If this is a big box system, then post the exact make and model.

Next the download you linked to does not support usb booting. It may or may not work when using a program that makes a bootable usb from the iso. Use the program as it was intended ie make a bootable CD.

We need exact specs to confirm whether or not your system does in fact support win8. Just because it installs win8 does not mean it is supported. If there are no chipset/mb drivers, then it is unsupported.

13. zeropoints

I had posted all details in my 2nd post. am I missing anything there? can you recommend a tool if you feel that information is not adequate. I cannot boot through a CD as my disk drive is not working (actually it is stuck :)

I want to add that I had run upgrade advisor before installing Windows 8 and it said 8 can be installed.

I have CPUz. But the log file is very very long. should I attach it here or post directly?

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What I need is the exact mb, cpu, pw supply, etc. Your post shows a bios date of 1932; I hardly think it is accurate.

The seagate tool is made to run from a CD. As I said it may or may not work from usb.

15. zeropoints

ok, so which tool should I use that will give you all that information?

I will run Seagate GUI version as I can't boot from a CD.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084258

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice