1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Computer Freezing when opening certain applications

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jbsauce, Jul 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbsauce

jbsauce Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have recently developed a problem. There are two programs that I have found so far that will freeze my computer when open them, Matlab and Visual Basic 6.0 Working Model.I have homwork due ! yikes.. I uninstalled VB the last bout and re-installed it and it worked wor about a week. Matlab I just discovered it today. I tried 4 or 5 times to open the applications but with the same result. I am not sure what is happening, It is strange because tose two applications were the most recent installations. I also have Autocad 14 which I installed last year and it booted up fine. Is there a problem with an initialization script? Virus? I am at a complete loss.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. rogers55

rogers55

JB,
    What version of Windows are you using?

Try shutting down anything running in the background. Do a Ctrl-Alt, Delete, to display the Task List. End Task on all except Explorer and then try starting your applications.
    If you have Windows 98, you can use MSConfig.exe to do the same thing. Run MSConfig.exe and select the Startup tab, uncheck all the entries and reboot.

Regards,
    Roger

3. jbsauce

jbsauce Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,
    I talked to a friend of mine today who is a guru with this platform and he sugesstued the same thing, I did not realize that all of those programs are running in the backgroung, I had a lot going. Well I did deselect all of the programs with your advice and it still did not work, I got to thinking about memory constraints and remembered that I had changed my memory allocation from desktop computer to network server per some advice i read on the microsoft tech site. Well I re selected the desktop computer mode and rebooted, The programs I was having problems loaded up fine. Wierd. Well your and my friends advice educated me about the workings of windows 98 and helped me solve the problem. Cool.
    Thanks
    John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/36864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice