Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Computer hangs at startup in Normal Mode and Safe Mode with Networking

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  10basetom 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm hoping someone would be able to help me resolve this so that I can avoid having to reinstall Windows. Here's the situation: my laptop suddenly cannot boot up anymore; it usually hangs when the "Please wait..." dialog shows up with the text "Windows is starting up...", but sometimes it goes as far as the login prompt, then hangs after I enter my credentials and press Enter. When it hangs I cannot even move my mouse cursor. I can only think of two things I did out of the ordinary that created this mess:

1. I installed the driver for the Turtle Beach AudioAdvantage Micro USB stick audio card before my PC started hanging. However, after I installed the driver I was forced to reboot, and my computer rebooted just fine.
  2. I closed my laptop's lid to put it in sleep mode while MyDefrag (formerly JkDefrag) was running. I have done this in the past without any issues, but this time when I exited sleep mode my computer was hanging, so I forced a reboot. This trouble started after I rebooted.

I am able to boot up in Safe Mode, but not Safe Mode with Networking, which leads me to think that maybe some network related drivers got corrupted. Some more info on my setup:

• I have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed (v5.1.2600)
  • I have Avira AntiVir and Comodo Firewall installed
  • I am not using Hibernation
  • Audio: SigmaTel STAC9751
  • Graphics: Intel 945 GMS
  • Chipset: Mobile Intel 945 GMS Express
  • Netcard: Realtek RTL8101L
  • Wifi: Intel PRO/wireless 3945

Update 1: I just ran CHKDSK and it shows I have no bad sectors.

Update 2: I tried disabling my Wifi and was able to boot in Normal Mode. However, as soon as I turn on my Wifi my laptop hangs again. I think I have narrowed down my issue to the Wifi driver. I will try reinstalling the driver now...

Update 3: This case has been resolved by installing the latest Wifi driver.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.