1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer has 3-5-second pauses (mostly when on youtube).

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by axeman61, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Just like the title says, my computer will have 3-5 second pauses. I'm able to move the mouse, and sound will continue playing without pause if I'm playing a song/watching a video. This has been going on for a while, but was so rare in the beginning that I took it as just my old computer acting up.
    I don't know the exact source of this, but I'm posting this here because it's most pronounced in firefox when I'm watching youtube videos. Chances are the source has something to do with firefox. Either that, or Internet Explorer. I had IE installed for something (I forget what), and am now going to remove it. Knowing my luck though, that won't solve anything. So I'm making this thread to continue on. My computer info will be below (let me know if you guys need anything else):

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1526 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 35055 MB, Free - 12595 MB; D: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 167081 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0M3918, , ..CN708214B5049M.
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Is this only happening with Flash related video?

3. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I'd say yeah, even though the pauses happen on my computer in general (though way less frequently). They're just bound to happen when playing videos on any flash site (youtube, break, etc.).

I'm getting the message: I'll uninstall and reinstall flash player and see what happens.

4. Phantom010

You could try a Clean Boot procedure to hopefully isolate the possible offending application causing the pauses. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

You may also have too many processes running in the background at same time.

5. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll try that, because removing IE and reinstalling Flash didn't help. Also, something happened: I uninstalled IE, but it didn't take IE off completely. Now I just have an earlier version of IE. I want to uninstall it completely, but it's not showing up in Revo Uninstaller or Windows' Add/Remove Programs. Do I just delete the folder it's in, or will that cause problems? I'm going to google for help on this, but I'm asking here in case nothing useful pops up in search.

I installed Visual Studio 2010 recently. I took on the entire package. Might that slow things down?

6. Phantom010

Internet Explorer cannot be completely removed but can be disabled. It's a key part of your Windows operating system.

How to Disable IE

7. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I figured I'd just handle other business all last week rather than tend to this computer problem (because it's only really affecting me on youtube). I tried the very first part of that clean boot (where you disable all the non-windows services) and got nowhere. Didn't go past that.

Then, today, I remembered the number one of the basic things you can do with firefox when you think there are problems: safe mode. I have at least 20 extensions that I use, so this was a viable option. Things went great in safe mode, so I booted to regular and disabled half the extensions from the bottom. Things were going great in regular mode. Enabled half from the "bad batch", still great. This went on until I found an old extension I no longer use and got rid of it. Now things seem to be working (they could go back to crap tomorrow; who knows).

Do you think I should still go through with the rest of that clean boot procedure? You know, just in case there's still a lingering problem? Or should I call this done?

8. Phantom010

Since you have found a faulty add-on in Firefox, I don't think you need to go ahead with the Clean Boot, unless the problem returns tomorrow...

9. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

Yeah, gonna go ahead and mark this as solved. I'll unsolve it if further problems crop up, but it seems everything is cool.

While the final solution was something I thought to do, I thank you, phantom for pointing me to that clean boot thing. I'm sure I'll run into an actual problem these days where that'll help.

10. Phantom010

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice