1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: \\Computer is not accessible

Discussion in 'Networking' started by smash21, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

PROBLEM:

"\\c17 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this

network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find

out if you have access permissions.

No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this

time because there are already as many connections as the computer

can accept."

That's the error i got . . .

I have 1 workgroup & it has 25 pcs. . and 1 of them is the server, the prob is 24 of them will access the server. .but xp limits it to 10 at a time so the rest can't access.

DOES ANYONE KNOWS ANY SOFTWARE THAT TWEAKS this xp's limitation?? One solution i know is to go for Linux but our PCs only have 128mb RAm and licensed XP.

Any help please!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's against forum rules to request or offer help with such illegal activities so it's irrelevant whether anyone knows of such hacks.

You have a "server" with only 128 MB RAM running XP? The extreme slowness must be very agonizing! If you can't or won't increase the RAM I suggest for the "server" you try DSL (Damn Small Linux), Puppy Linux or maybe Xubuntu. You can boot and run any of those as a Live CD to see if they work for you before making any decision to install.

3. avisitor

avisitor

IDK if Xubuntu will run as a live CD on only 128MB RAM.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Xubuntu 8.04 should run, but in 128 MB RAM it will be only marginally better than XP.

From Xubuntu's site:

"Minimum system requirements

To run the Desktop CD (LiveCD + Install CD), you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM.

To install Xubuntu, you need 1.5 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with 192 MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM."

5. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

Ooh. . im so sorry, my apology to the admin :( . . .i should have read it. tsk tsk!!!

Am actually the server has 512MB ram. . thank u for your suggestion, what if i'll install LINUX O.S. to (1pc) server then the other 24 pcs are windows. . does the 24 pcs can now access the server at a time?? thats really the prob. . how those 24 pcs access the server together. ;)

6. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

what version of Linux is advisable to install in a 512MB Ram, & must be the good one for networking?

7. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

heee. . sorry to ask this, what's live CD by the way?

8. nimans

nimans

I got this error message with my Vista network and I only have 7 PC's connected to the main pc (the server) I'm running Vista on all of them. Why would I get this error message?

Each time I do, I have to go to "Administrative Tools" in the control panel, then under computer management, then under sessions and I will see some of the seven computers are listed twice, taking up the maximum 10 connections. Then I have to close the sessions to allow the other computer to connect.

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would guess conservatively that 95% of Linux distributions need no more than 512 MB RAM. There are others here who are far, far more qualified than I am to advise on good Linux distributions for your use so I'll just mention two that I think would be satisfactory and are reasonably similar to Windows XP in "look and feel." Ubuntu and Kubuntu are essentially the same, but with different GUIs.

Live CD means you can boot and run from the CD; only the CD and RAM will be used; nothing is put on your hard disk unless you choose to install or to save some configuration information to make the next boot to Live CD faster.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The computer acting as a server is the one that with Windows restricts simultaneous connections to 5 or 10. The reason is that if you have more than 5 computers Microsoft wants you to buy a (more expensive) Pro or Business version; more than 10 computers and Microsoft wants to sell you a (far more expensive) Server version of Windows.

Linux developers, providing free downloads and inexpensive CDs, don't care whether you get/use a Desktop or Server version and don't care how many computers you have.

So, yes, changing your "server" PC to use Linux should solve your simultaneous access problem.

11. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

Ooh. .got it now. Thanks!

12. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

yeah. . i installed fedora 8 to my server. Works fine. . thanks TerryNet :eek: !!

13. arayq2

arayq2

Yes, that's an option if you want to stay legal.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Glad to hear that a Linux is working for you. :)

You can mark this "Solved" using the button at the upper left of your first post.

15. smash21

smash21 Thread Starter

hahah thank you! i almost forgot that. . since i am a newbie here!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice