1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer is on for 30 secs then dies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mercenary Dude, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mercenary Dude

Mercenary Dude Thread Starter

I just bought a new set up
    Processor:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P5NSLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Video Card:
    BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    Ram:
    CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
    PSU:
    COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR ATX from factor 12V V2.01 500W Power Supply 110-115V/ 220V-230V Nemko, TUV, cUL, CE, BSMI, FCC, CCC - Retail
    Hard Drive:
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JSRTL 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail
    Fans:
    1 80mm in front, 1 120 in back

I press the power button and it boots up for about 30 seconds then dies. I tryed pushing in all the connecters again but it still dies every time. What could be the problem?
    Thanks,
    Merc

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

Be sure and always ground yourself by touching the power supply before handling the motherboard or other components to avoid electrostatic discharge. Use properly grounded outlet.

Items Needed
    Non-conductive surface, such as a linoleum tabletop, cardboard or rubber mat.
    Small screwdriver.
    Known good power supply.

Components needed:

Motherboard
    (Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS and Troubleshooting BIOS Beep Codes)
    CPU/fan/heatsink
    Video card
    Troubleshooting a Video Adapter and Computer Monitor Flow Chart)
    RAM -one RAM stick (note some mobo's require you to install a single stick in a certain slot, read the manual)
    memtest86)
    Monitor -
    Keyboard - Not mandatory
    Speaker - Hear beep codes
    Power Supply -
    (Flowchart for ATX Power Supply Repair best way is just try a known good power supply)

Remove everything from the case

Connect the components listed above, check all connections and be sure they are in their proper location and secure. If your motherboard has a small, square 4 pin power connector make sure its connected,
    If you have already tried the unit inside the case, re-seat the RAM and video card a few times to clean up the contacts. This means pull the card out of the slot and put it back in, often 6 or 8 times are needed to clean off oxidation.

Locate the Power On pins on the motherboard and short them briefly with a small screwdriver, that should power up the computer. If everything is properly connected, in working order and contacts are clean, you should see a BIOS screen and hear one beep.
    Now we know that it may be a Mounting issue and you should check each standoff that is not matching up with a hole int the motherboard, one other thing if you have a metal hole (like in pic below, metal ring around the hole) Don't use those cardboard washers, the holes are made to ground the motherboard. only use the cardboard washers if you have no metal hole or in some cases you may need add a few washers under the motherboard (noway would you need to on every hole) to keep it from shorting out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or it may be one of the pieces of hardware we have not connected yet.

If you get no video or beep, switch off the power strip or unplug the power supply to shut down. Reseat video card and RAM. Sometimes this must be done several times, heavy oxidation can be difficult to clean up.

If you still get no beep or video after several tries and have reseated the RAM and video, further troubleshooting is necessary. I won't go into great detail here, but the things to check are:

Video card - try a different one.
    RAM - try a different chip.
    Motherboard - Have it tested by a reputable computer shop.
    CPU - Have it tested by a reputable shop.
    Power supply - A weak power supply can be difficult to sort out, Best way is to try a Known good PS to diagnose

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

"Turns on for 30 seconds then dies" is usually the CPU overheating. Check to make sure the CPU fan is turning and the heatsink is installed correctly.

4. Mercenary Dude

CPU fan is turning. heatsink as far as i can tell is installed. My brother said that is might be because it was out side during delivery that it got too cold. I live in Minnesota so i don't know if that can happen. After school and work today, ill take it apart and do everything posted above.
    Merc

5. schusterjo

schusterjo

Doubtful the to cold theory, when assembly and your not a experienced (and that means more then just a few) should always assemble the computer outside the case and boot to see if you get a display on the screen, heck I still do this most of the time. I even install the OS outside the case so when I'm ready all I need to do is throw it in the case and its done. If something is going to fail or is bad its usually going to let you know right away. much easier to find out what that is outside the case. Not to mention if it works outside the case and it don't inside you know you have a mounting issue. (standoff, shorts ext..) And make sure you have a speaker hooked up so you can hear beeps.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

schusterjo is right, assembling it outside the case is much easier, certainly at least for basic bring-up.

I'd remove it from the case, and connect ONLY the memory, P/S, keyboard, and video board. Power up and see if you can enter the BIOS, and the system remains running. Then you can add components until you have a failure.

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

The scenario you describe is fairly common on socket 775 processors that are not fully seated and locked.

Without removing the cooler take a flat blade screwdriver and turn the pins 90-degrees counterclockwise to the unlock position. With all the locking pins loose, turn the pin assemblies back clockwise as far as they will go. Push down HARD on 2 pins at a time diagonal from each other, until all 4 pins are fully down and locked.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree with Win2kpro, I would bet anything one of the locking pins is not locked into the motherboard. You always should install the cpu outside the case and flip the board over to see they are all through, as with 3 fastened, you would never know otherwise.

9. JohnWill

schusterjo, I see you're still plagiarizing your posts from other sites, which is something that I have specifically asked you not to do. I thought we had the issue of copyrights settled, but it seems that maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Next time, please just point the original instead of changing a few words and posting it here. In case you forgot where you lifted this from, here's the URL: http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39685

Perhaps a refresher read of the TSG Rules is in order. This is your last warning. :(

10. schusterjo

schusterjo

Do as you please John, there is no copyright issues with the post I made. I have checked with attorneys already. Last time you had a point and was border line, so I gave you that and left it alone. This time you are stretching it. keep calling me out and accusing me as such can bring a suit against you.

11. JohnWill

You obviously have missed this part of the TSG Rules, I suggest you review it.
    Since you prefer threats to simply following the rules here, I think it's time you had a 24 hour time-out to think about it.

Upon your return, please do NOT post to this thread about this matter, we've already disrupted the topic enough.

12. Mercenary Dude

Thanks everyone who posted information. It turns out (from what I believe) it was that one of the hearsink pins was not pushed in all the way. I have fixed that and set everything up, and it works flawlessly. Thanks everyone.
    Merc
    P.S. sorry schusterjo for anything that happened. :(

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

I thought so, glad you caught it and all is well now.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice