1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer just shuts down randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slipfan1, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

Hi all, i've been having a quite major problem with my computer recently, it shuts down randomly as I turn it on.

Now, it is a custom PC, so I can't call any tech-support hotline, its built with loads of different parts from different companies.

I turn on my computer, it starts to load up, I get to about the Windows XP login screen and it just shuts down. No blue screen of death, just a shutdown. So I figure it should be to do with the CPU temperature right? I've been cautioned about this problem before.

I turn on my computer again, this time clicking 'delete' which will take me to my PC Health status screen after a few clicks. I monitor the temperature until random shutdown: a constant 82?C, shutdown temp is 90?C.

I've no idea where to go from here, I'll post specifics if need be, I can't even get to desktop with this.

Sorry if this sounds newbie-ish, kinda desperate to get this working again.

Thanks in advance!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A complete shutdown (doesn't restart itself) is usually caused by CPU overheating... or a bad or overloaded PSU. Since you are seeing 82 ºC my guess would be CPU.

Have you checked that the CPU fan is turning, and the heatsink/fan assembly is tightened securely?

3. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

The CPU fan is turning, I can see it when I turn it on.

What exactly is the Heatsink/Fan assembly? Not too sure on this one >.<.

All the other fans are still running too though.

4. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

Bump for help :)

5. CCjon

CCjon

I think he's referring to the heatsink and fan itself.You should see whether the fan is tighten,any unusual sound that you haven't heard before for example.

Why are the temperatures so high?Have you changed the cpu or heatsink lately?If so did you applied the thermal compound correctly?If not have you change anything inside your computer lately?

6. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

The temperatures have always been that high, what does the heatsink look like? I'm confused on what we're talking about. There's a CPU fan which is kinda on properly (like 2/4 screws are on and its reasonably tight) but what should I be looking for?

Those temperatures are high? god damn, never been below 75C lol

7. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

And sorry no I haven't replaced anything recently, no recent changes have been made and nothing has been fiddled with.

8. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

And I can't get to downloading SpeedFan because it shuts down before I can login, lol

9. CCjon

CCjon

Firstly forget bout the speedfan thing as I didn't see all of posts in your thread before posting that...:p

Then can you post your exact pc specs?Also is your computer very old(like the p4 era)?

10. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB ( 2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDr2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

XFX MB-N650-IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard

and that's all I have in front of me, anything missing?

11. CCjon

CCjon

There is DEFINITELY something wrong with your cpu temps.My Pentium D 915 with stock intel cooler runs at about 60º-65ºc and C2D definitely runs cooler than that!(in normal circumstances anyway:p)What is the cpu cooler that you're using?

12. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

CPU cooler?? I have a fan on my CPU that I've recently cleaned. Please don't tell me you mean heat sink? What is that! I've no idea what they are and if I even have one, the fan is the only obviously visible thing I can see cooling my CPU.

13. CCjon

CCjon

The heatsink plus fan makes up the cpu cooler(some coolers doesn't use fans at all,but that's beside the point).

What is the cpu cooler that you are using?

14. slipfan1

slipfan1 Thread Starter

Just a fan I think, I don't know what a heatsink looks like.

15. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse

slipfan: view the picture on the top right of this webpage link >>>>>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatsink

the black "thingy" is a heatsink fan, the silver "thingy" that the fan sits on is called a heatsink >>>>> the 2 together is called a "cooler" or HSF. HSF is HeatSink/Fan combination. The silver heat sink is clamped onto the CPU and absorbs the heat from the CPU. Its called "active" cooling because the heat sink has a fan sitting on top of it. If you notice in the picture there is another silver heat sink on the motherboard to the right of the CPU HSF >>>>>> it doesn't have a fan on top of it. That is called "passive" cooling. similar to many video cards.

your CPU temp of a "constant 82C" is lol waaaay too high. my suggestion is to take your PC to a shop and get the tech there to reseat the HSF to the CPU with new thermal paste. thermal paste transfers the heat that the CPU generates TO the heat sink. it should help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/715264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice