1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer keeps shutting down after startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by asuss06, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

for the last 4 or 5 days, my computer keeps shutting down about 3 to 6 times a day, usually right after sign in or when my desktop appears. sometimes later than that. i think my comp. recently downloaded a new MS XP service pack, so i dont know if thats the problem or not. once in a while, i will get a window that wall say (im paraphrasing) - "windows had to restart due to a possible internal error or due to a program malfunction..." then gives me options to start up in Safe Mode, Safe Mode With Networking, some other safe mode variation and also Start up at Last Possible Time of Proper Operation. ive tried that last one a few times, but it didnt help anything.
    any ideas??? any help would be appreciated!
    Thank you all

2. DataBase

DataBase

Turn off automatic restart and you will receive a blue screen the next time Windows encouters and error and needs to restart. From here you will be able to get closer to diagnosing your problem.

Heres how to disable Automatic restart

Click START >>Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

3. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

i did everything as you instructed and it seemed to work...for an hour or so. then it turned off again! and there was NO blue screen as you mentioned when this happened. it did go through an automatic diagnosing process (same as when you check the volume for errors) but it was fast as hell, stated no errors... and then the computer shut about 3 more times in about 5 minutes!!!!

4. kirkmichelle80

kirkmichelle80

asuss06,
    How about some stats on the computer? Is it old, desktop, laptop?
    First thought is an overheating problem. If you can go into the BIOS and look for hardware monitoring. Looking for the temperature of the cpu, if it is over 65C, then it is in the dangerous area.
    just thoughts of the top of my head.
    kirk

5. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

its an HP laptop only about 2 1/2 yrs old. i truly doubt it would be overheating b/c it will shut off after only being on for literally 30 seconds after being off all night. And then if it stays on after the 3rd or 4th try, it WILL stay on for hours. but id like to check the bios anyway - where do i find the hardware monitoring and check the temp of the CPU?

6. kirkmichelle80

kirkmichelle80

Not all BIOS will have the monitor capabilities. I am not sure yours will. But from what you describe, I agree that it doesn't sound like an overheating problem.
    A good test would be to try and run your computer without using the hard drive to boot from. One way to accomplish this would be to download a Linux LiveCD, burn the ISO file downloaded to a CD and boot the computer from the CD. This would tell you in the computer was fine, and maybe the XP service pack is creating some conflict in your system. Here is the link for a version called PuppyLinux.
    http://puppylinux.org/downloads/official-releases/puppy-linux-40-dingo
    I only suggest this as a way of testing to eliminate any concern about hardware. There is much more assistance about using a liveCD in the Linux area.
    Good luck.

7. asuss06

asuss06 Thread Starter

but i cant even download this linux cd b/c the computer keeps shutting off. it actually shut down 4 times before it would even let me get THIS far to type this. (the automatic restart is turned off too, so i dont know why it keeps shutting off) my god, this is maddening!!! please hellllp!

8. DataBase

DataBase

View the logs under 'Event Viewer' and see what they say, we may be able to narrow it down from there.

heres how to get to event viewer
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.

2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!