Solved: Computer locked up on XP reinstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chevyssfan01

This morning I attempted to do a complete reinstall of XP by booting from the CD. The screen currently says :

Windows Setup=========

Setup is loading files (Human Interface Parser)…

It has been on this screen for about 20 minutes now.

I decided to do a reinstall because the system had unexpectedly begun freezing up. Information about this can be found in my previous post:

http://forums.techguy.org/security/429665-unexplained-computer-freeze-up.html.

What should I do now?

Pulling my hair out in Texas,:confused: :confused: :confused:

Gary

If your setup freezes, you can re-boot, choose not to boot from cdrom,then the setup will proceed from its last point.

Brand of hard drive?
IDE or SATA?
Are you loading Windows from a manufacturers recovery disk, or stand alone OEM or retail disk?

chevyssfan01

Hello all,

Glad to give you more information.

HD- Western Digital 60 GB (MASTER)
Western Digital 120 GB (Slave)
Ram: Kingston Valueram 512 MB 133 MHZ SDRAM
CPU: Pentium 4, 2.4 MHZ, 478 pin
Motherboard - ECS Elitegroup P4VXASD2+

I have downloaded and ran a HD tester (HDD health) and and both drives show good. (Info can be exported if it helps anyone.)

I also downloaded a CPU tester (CPUEP.exe) which ran 5 seperate tests and all were good, no lock ups or problems.

Then I downloaded and used a MS-DOS based RAM tester (memtest.exe) and attempted to run it. After three attempts and three lock ups, I am at my wits end.

All the diagnostics I used were downloaded from www.majorgeeks.com.

I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Now hairless in Texas,

Gary:( :(

chevyssfan01

One stick of 512

FYI

I removed the stick and reseated it, followed by reseating the CPU.

If Memtest caused the machine to lock up when it was running then it MAY indicate that the memory is defective. Did Memtest ever actually start to run?

Sure smells like a RAM problem. One thing I would try before changing the RAM is to check the mobo manufacturers website to see if there are any BIOS updates. If there are updates, update the BIOS and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't then it appears that the RAM is failing.

chevyssfan01

That is exactly where I was looking at. I doubt the overheating is an issue; I am running a fan on the power supply, the CPU fan, chipset fan on video card and four case fans. (Thing sounds like a freaking wind test tunnel at the desk.)

I will pull the RAM out tomorrow and run it down to the local computer shop to see if they can benchcheck.

What do you think?

Gary

If they have the facilities to check the RAM that's the best place to get started.

Good Luck! (y)

chevyssfan01

Good news and bad news.

I have the new RAM installed. I went with ValueSelect from Corsair and put in two sticks of 512mb of DDR, swapped the jumpers on the mother board and booted the system up.

Everything loaded and computer recognized the new RAM. I ran a new memtest and it made it all the way to pass 5 before I shut it off. Good so far.

Well I tried a game that I know the system had locked up on before and all seemed well for five minutes. Then, WHAM, it froze up again.

Next Step:

I went to ECS's website and downloaded the latest versions of bios, ran the utlities and loaded the new bios. All seems good thus far.

I ran a successful AV scan with no lock ups and no viruses.

Attempted a Spybot scan and it locked up. Reset and tried again but it locked up again.

Where should I look now? HD, CPU or motherboard?

Gary

It could easily be your AGP drivers, or the video card drivers.
Are you using an ATI video card?

I have experienced this with ATI cards. The catalys driver is problematic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online