1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer not booting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kame_sanjo, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kame_sanjo

kame_sanjo Thread Starter

Well my computer was on and explorer had an error that made my desktop blank, i hit the power button and started the shutdown progress and it turns off. I turn the computer back on and the monitor light flashes and hard drive light stays on. I clear the cmos as i have had that problem before and have to keep turninng off some apic power setting.

Upon resetting the cmos i go into setup and i see that none of my hard drives or cd drives are being detected and my time / date are cycling through different times i remember setting them in prior malfunctions a few days ago. Is my battery dyin? Is my cmos dead?

:confused:

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Try replacing the battery.

3. kame_sanjo

whew, went out and bought a new battery and its all good. might that explain some lock-ups with my computer and issues with starting up lately? i never had one die yet hehe, learnin something everyday.

4. kame_sanjo

computer is doing the same thing again! will not post and when it does, which is about 1/6 times clearing the cmos, it will say the cmos checksum is bad, if i reset the settings to default it runs but when i have to restart for what ever reason i have to go through this again.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

6. kame_sanjo

id love to use that but at the moment i do not have another motherboard to test the memory on and my computer isnt runnin at the moment. im posting this from my laptop =P

7. kame_sanjo

i was able to get it to post -but- got another bad checksum and now it asked me for a password! i never set a password for the bios setup =\.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

The memory test makes a floppy disk you can boot to to test it.

9. kame_sanjo

yea im runnin that as we speak... is it supposed to flash numbers and have a bunch of different colors on the screen? hehe. looks like its going back and forth from 1 line of numbers to 10 lines that flash.

this board is really annoyin me now... it will post but get that error and ask for a password which i dont have the key to.

10. kame_sanjo

the memory passed and im trying to troubleshoot each piece of hardware... i took out the cmos batt for a few minutes and put it back in then it let me go into setup (without hd's or sound card)

plugged them in and will not POST again, took them back out and no luck.

took the battery out again, put it back in, can get into bios settings and date / time will change to different values by themselves.

11. kame_sanjo

still dead... ive been reading over some posts and trying to recollect times this might have happened before and i remember this happening to my geforce 7800 a while back and it fried the slot it was in because both were unusable. i ordered a new mobo / ram / cpu since i was making the switch to am2 soon anyway. ill be getting the parts around tuesday and ill see if my vcard will work in the new setup, if not then i believe it might be the culprit =((

but that still doesnt explain my cmos going awol on me. its got a new battery in it and everthing.

12. kame_sanjo

problem was with motherboard or ram... i think cmos got fried somehow but got new parts and im up and running again! thanks for the responses

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice