Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Computer not detecting printer

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  lpas 
#1 ·
A few days ago, our HP Deskjet 6122 suddenly stopped communicating with our computer and refused to print from any program. After re-booting and trying a few other quick fixes with no success, I assumed something must have been corrupted, uninstalled the printer (including all traces of HP software) and used the CD that came with it to try a clean reinstall. Unfortunately, now I can't reinstall the drivers because the computer isn't detecting the printer, which is both plugged in and turned ON at the time. Tried again with new drivers downloaded from HP, but this was also a no go. Have rebooted/plugged and unplugged the printer cable hook-up multiple times. Also did an uninstall/reinstall of LPT1. Unfortunately, I can't test the printer with a different computer since we only have one and I can't try a different printer cable unless we go buy a new one (which I'm hesitant to do except as a last resort). Am at a loss for how to proceed--about to tear my hair out. Can anyone *please* help??

Computer is a 3-week old Dimension 4700 running XP Pro, SP2. Printer is on a parallel connection and worked just fine w/ the new computer before suddenly becoming non-responsive 2 days ago.

thanks

#2 ·
Without testing the printer on another PC, or another printer on yours, all you can do is run a printer self-test.

Check the manual, but usually it involves a certain button press at power on, and does not rely on the PC at all to test that actual hardware. Will not test the port or cable though.

It is possible that the printer is dead, but this would prove something anyway.

#4 ·
Its on parralle?
Did it not come with a USB?

You can get a printer USB cable at like office max
they are not that much problye like 10 dollars. try that.
I think you gotta install the software first (the cd that came with it)
then plug in the usb.

#5 ·
OK. Figured out how to print a test page directly from the printer and that worked just fine--so the printer isn't dead (thank goodness).

Have removed and reconnected the parallel cable multiple times and it doesn't seem to make a diffference.

Unfortunately, we don't have a spare USB cable. Guess I have no other choice but to go buy one and try it. Will report back. In the meantime, I'm open to any other suggestions. Feeling very frustrated.

Thanks very much.

#6 ·
If the test page works. then it should work.

Goto control panel, then goto printers and faxes, make sure your printer is listed, if not, delete whats there and add yours in the :
under printer task, you can Add a printer.

#7 ·
vanillag1rl--thanks for the help but I think you may have misunderstood my last post. I can only print a test page by using the buttons on the printer. There is still no interface between my computer and the printer. There is no printer listed under "Printers and Faxes" and I can't add one because the computer isn't detecting any new hardware.

#8 ·
Oh ok, thought you told it from your settings on your computer

#9 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.