1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] computer not powering on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlkSprk, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlkSprk

BlkSprk Thread Starter

A little while ago, i was having problems with using any direct-x games, i ran the dxdiag and it told me i was failing to create a 3d device, so i decided i would replace the graphics card. i opened the case (it was very dusty, note i need a new case) and replaced the graphic card. i also rearanged some of the wiring to my componants to increase air flow. i replaced the cover, tried to turn it on.... nothing, no noise, nothing. i checked the seating on the cpu, still nothing. the light on the board that says i am getting power is on, but not even the lights on the front of the machine come on, no bios, nothing. i put the old graphics card back in, and still nothing. someone, please help me here, i have no idea what to do.

thanks
    Tony

2. Doberman

Doberman

I had a similar problem some time ago. I just replaced the power supply and it took care of the problem. I would suggest checking all cable connections and the wiring from the start/reboot buttom the computer case to the motherboard (check motherboard manual for refernece).

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome....does the power supply make any noise?

4. coover

coover

Hi Tony,

Because the lights are not coming on at the front of the computer (by this, I think you mean that your floppy drive and CD-ROM lights are not coming on when you attempt to POST), this sounds like a Power Supply problem. As others have suggested, check all your power supply lines to make sure they are properly attached to both the motherboard, hard drive, CD, Floppy, etc.

Other things to check:

Is your computer finishing the Power On Self Test (POST)? If so, you should hear a single short beep a few seconds after starting the computer. If you are not, you probably have the Power Supply Problem or your Memory may have become unseated. And if you are hearing more than one beep, you should check with the people who wrote your Basic Input - Output System (BIOS) to see what there code means. On one of my computers, I discovered that 9 long Beeps means Video Card problems.

Even if it appears your memory is correctly seated, you should remove it and reseat it. I had this problem last week. Somehow, while I had my hand or some other object near the motherboard, the memory was bumped. It was impossible to tell there was a problem visually, but a reseat of the memory cured the problem.

Another, and the least likely situation is that you bumped your video card. If all else seems OK, reseat the video card.

Good Luck to you.

5. BlkSprk

BlkSprk Thread Starter

power supply makes no noise, i dont even make it to a post. the computer itself, makes absolutly no noise, not even a werr or a beep. i will check my connections and and my memory and let you know what i find, thanks for the input.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If the power supply fan isn't even turning, you need to check its connection to the motherboard. Another thing that could be happening, is when you were playing around inside, the motherboard moved and is now shorting out against the case. What light are you seeing?

7. coover

coover

Sometimes the simplest things are the problem, so simple that you'd almost never remember to check them. There is usually an on - off switch on the power supply, right next to where the power cord plugs into your machine. Have you checked to see that the switch is set to "On"?

8. BlkSprk

BlkSprk Thread Starter

ya, the power switch on the back is on, i havent gotten a chance to try anythign yet, i will tell you when i do

9. BlkSprk

BlkSprk Thread Starter

swapped out the power supply and case, problem solved, thanks guys

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112505

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice