1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer not showing video on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pwrof3, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

Hello, folks! A quick rundown of my problem: I have an HP Pavilion DV6000 model laptop.
    One day it was running really hot and the monitor went to black on me. I have had this happen in the past and was able to fix it by re-attaching the monitor cable to the motherboard. So, I opened up the laptop to do just that, and found that the monitor was still hooked up the way it should be.

Now here's the fun part. I went to start up the laptop again and now the computer will not boot. It runs on, checks the hard drive, and then resets itself. I can get the laptop to stay powered on by holding down the ESC key while it is booting.
    However, there is no signal being sent to the monitor, so I have no idea what is going on because I can't see anything.
    I have tried hooking up to an external monitor with no luck.

So far, the hard drive has been to Geek Squad for a data retrieval, but they told me they could not back up my hard drive because the hard drive would not boot up on their backup machines.

I am assuming that when I hold down the ESC key, I am getting to the boot screen for the BIOS. I have a feeling I could get to the data on the hard drive if I could get Ubuntu to load via a flash drive, but my problem still lies in no signal being sent to a monitor.

Any ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Geek Squad techs are idiots if they tried to boot your hard drive in one of their computers to get your data off. I'm hoping they simply told you the wrong thing.

To recover the data, attach the drive to another computer via an adapter like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
    No booting required for this method and this, or a variation of this, is how its usually done.

As long as the drive is not faulty or encrypted this should work. Just access it though My Computer and use copy and paste to get the files of it.

As for the laptop, it might be a write-off. DV6000's with the the AMD CPU and nVidia chipset experienced massive failures due to a flaw in the nVidia chipset and poor HP quality for high rate of failure and some of the other problems with the units. HP had a write up on their website about the chipset issue, but shortly after the "Extended Service" ended they pulled the write-up...

However a Google search still results in plenty of info: http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=dv6000+motherboard+failure

3. pwrof3

pwrof3 Thread Starter

Thank you for the info!
    That adapter is the exact thing I have been looking for. I took the hdd out myself and tried to see if it would fit in other laptops I have, but with no avail.

Yeah, at this point I am scrapping the Pavilion. Only got 3 years out of it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice