1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer not starting - tried everything

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CGS84, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CGS84

CGS84 Thread Starter

Hi there,

This morning my computer does not want to start. Usually I just need to turn on the UPS switch 30 minutes before trying to start, but this time it did not work.

I have searched for all power supply problems here on the forum and even tried that green and black cable crossing to test if the fan will work, well, it works but does that mean that the power supply is still ok?

I don't have another desktop to test the power supply by exchanging. I am a beginner and don't know what brand/specs my mother board is. All i know is that:

harddrives: 3 harddrives of more than 40GB each i think
    graphics card: fairly new

1.) When I press the ON button, it just won't light up anything or make anything move. No sounds.

2.) The bad part is that the power supply smells like burned cable or something but when I opened it, nothing looks burned.

could someone help? I read something about a power on pin that needs to be shorted.. where do I find on the mother boar, what does it look like?

The computer has had some trouble starting in the past but I usually got it to start somehow. This time it just won't start :((. Nothing I did worked.

It's a work computer and I need it.

Please help.

Thanks!

2. DeLorean

DeLorean

The power on pin is where the case/chassis plugs into the motherboard, their should be a bunch of brightly coloured wires from the case to the motherboard that connect the on switch, reset switch and the power and harddisk LED's.

All I can think of by "power on pin" is that if you can follow these wires from the main Power on button to the motherboard you can pull off the connector (it SHOULD be only 2 wires, 1 white and 1 green if I remember correctly) and then use the tip of a screwdriver or other metalic object to bridge the 2 pins. This is the equivelant of just using the power on button, but will atleast find if your problem is just a broken button :D

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

Check all of the power supply connections first..

That burning smell is not a good sign. You can eliminate the switch as the problem doing this.

4. johnpost

johnpost

shorting the green and black wires tells you if the supply is dead or not,
    that is different from telling you if it is good. there is much more that
    that test won't show. if you had a local mom and pop computer
    store where you could buy a replacement, they could do a
    real test on it.

smelling burnt is not good. burnt smell can happen
    without seeing damage, plastic can be melting or
    varnish burning or dust cooking.

if you could borrow a power supply you could
    try that and see if your computer runs.

to test if it is a bad power switch on the case,
    follow the wires that go from case front to
    motherboard. on the motherboard would
    be a small hard to see printing labeled maybe
    PWR or PWR SWITCH, the plug is likely labeled
    similar. if you carefully short those pins for
    half a second, with the power supply plugged in
    it will be as if you pushed the front power switch.

you could test that front switch bypass but with
    whatelse you describe about the power supply
    then i would highly suspect that first.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Exactly.

Unfortunately, power supplies can take other hardware with them when they fail. As johnpost said, however, you really should try to test with another power supply (that's known to be good and compatible).

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you have a burned out smell from power supply, no need to look any further, you need another one.

7. CGS84

CGS84 Thread Starter

Thank you everyone, after I read your posts I knew that I could not handle this at home so I took it to a computer repair shop. I did not have anyone where I could borrow a power supply from for testing :( . The other computer I had was ancient so the power supply was weird lol.

All your suspicions were correct. The Power supply was gone/dead even though that green/black crossing thing worked, so I guess it's not really an indicator.

Unfortunately the power supply took the mother board into its grave :( so we had to get both brand new.

One of the the hard drives ( the one with the most important information on it ) was damaged a bit too and has difficulties of getting detected. Some fragments were corrupted and I'm going to back up the rest that is still working.

Thank so much everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sorry to hear that but you did the right thing....

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can mark your own threads solved by going to Thread Tools.

10. CGS84

CGS84 Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6, sorry for the bother but another user told me to hit the red triangle and request a solve, thanks for telling me :D

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No problem at all.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice