1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Computer only lists cable modems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lmyers, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lmyers

lmyers Thread Starter

I have been working on my grandaughter's computer. It is a Compaq Presario 5000 running Windows ME. I used Compaq restore discs to wipe computer clean and reset to the original configuration. Now I cannot get it to find the modem. When last operating it was using a cable modem and now it only lists cable modems when I try to install the modem. I tried setting up as a generic 56 k V.90 modem but that did not work.

How can I get it to recognize the dial up modem?

Thanks for any help.
    Larry

2. Moby

Moby

I'm assuming that the original configuration you went back to had a dial up modem and you added the cable modem later? If this is the case and the cable modem is showing after you restored back to factory settings, then the cable modem was probably still plugged into the computer and got recognised after the restore.
    Is/was the cable modem connected by usb? In device manager under modem, what shows? (a usb modem should show under the usb tabs in device manager, dial up modem under the modem tab) My ME system has usb cable modem installed, which disables the dial up modem, but the dial up modem is still installed, showing in device manager. To go back to the dial up modem, I must unplug the cable one, remove it from device manager then reboot so windows can recognise my 'new' hardware (the dial up modem). The dial up modem drivers are on my restore discs, do you know if they are on yours or on a separate disc?

3. lmyers

lmyers Thread Starter

Moby

Thanks for the reply. I did the restore after the cable modem was disconnected. I checked the USB folder in device manager but there was no cable modem there. I have what may be a related issue. In the device manager there is a yellow checkmark showing a problem in "Other devices", "PCI card". When I click on it I am told there is no driver installed for this PCI card but when I try to install one Windows tells me it cannot find one. My modem is a pci modem; is this problem connected with the modem. I also have a seperate folder in device manager for Modems.

If I was getting $5 an hour for the time I've spent on this I could easily buy the grandaughter a new computer.

Larry

4. Moby

Moby

Sounds like the problem. If it's the original modem I don't understand why the drivers aren't on the restore disc though. Any other discs with the computer? Modem been added? If so it'll have come with drivers. Is it the only pci card installed? Does a modem appear under 'modem' in device manager? Could unplug the modem to see if exclamation mark disappears on reboot.

Despite all that the problem was always leaning towards not having the drivers installed. If the modem worked before then your grandaughter probably has the drivers for it somewhere. If no disc/drivers, you'll have to find out what make it is by having a look at it and get the drivers online.
    Here's a good place to start

http://www.modem-drivers.com/

5. lmyers

lmyers Thread Starter

To Moby:

Problem is now solved. Everything works fine. Modem connects to internet at 49333 bps. For reasons only Bill Gates might know; after running the restore discs 6 or 7 times, the last attempt fixed everything. I don't know why but each time I ran the restore discs the routine was different and the time involved varied considerably.

Thanks for your efforts.
    Larry

6. Moby

Moby

Glad you're up and running. That speed you're getting by the way, for a 56k modem is rather good. You'll never get the full speed rating for too many reasons to go into now (phonelines/time of day/internet traffic etc etc)
    I was more than happy with my 42000 connection rate, lots of people are down in the 30's, 20's even. You are positively flying :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice