1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer Only Turns On For a Moment and Made Buzzing Noise When Shut Off Befo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LogiRogi, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Before I start I must warn that I'm terrible with computers. This is my real first time unplugging the power supply. Still, I'll try and provide as much information as I can.

A few days ago my computer turned on but then shut off really quickly, like half a second later. No power was running through it after that and I had to unplug it and wait a bit until it would even get any electricity for the half a second the next time I tried. The day before it had worked fine and had no problems but I had been hearing a strange buzzing noise for a brief moment when the computer shut down. Because this noise came from the back, I thought it might have something to do with the power supply.

I believe my tower is a Cooler Master and has multiple different parts installed. My mainboard is an MSI 760 GM-P23 FX. The power supply is a Cooler Master RS500-PCARD3. I have an AMD heatsink.

I changed the power supply for another one that should work and plugged in just the 24 pin into the motherboard and the 4pin near the CPU. Nothing happened when I tried this power supply at all. It got no power and it didn't even turn on for a moment. I tested the two powesupplies via the PSU paperclip test and both started up so I tried my old power supply on my motherboard and now it does the same thing it did before. I'm not sure why the other power supply seems to not get power.

Why do you think my computer isn't getting power and what can I do?

Hopefully someone can reply if I put in more information. I'm going to try and remove the only RAM I have. It is a Corsair XMS3 4GB, 1333 MHz memory stick.

2. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

I usually don't respond to my own posts but this has gone unanswered for some time. Does no one really have the slightest idea of what I can do to solve this?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is recommended that you wait about a day before bumping your own thread, this is an all volunteer forum and there may not be anybody online at the moment when you post your thread. That said, a power supply can damage the motherboard and other components when it goes bad. This is especially true if the power supply is a low quality unit. Just because a fan in the power supply is turning does not mean it is providing the proper power to operate a computer. The true test would be to connect a Known Good (Known good does not mean new, but one that is known to be operating a computer) power supply.

It would also be helpful if you would tell us what processor you have.

4. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Sorry about that but I was seeing multiple new questions getting answered and was wondering why this topic was one of the few that hadn't received anything. Sorry again.

Although I have not tested the other power supply recently, it was working before and had not been used since then so I would hope it still worked. I wish I could say what the CPU is but I also tested my older CPU that had worked less well and it had the same problem. That CPU is an AMD FX-4100.

I want to test the mainboard because that would be the costliest thing to replace. I've read that you can short it manually by pressing two pins but cannot find which two specific pins I'd need for my board. Although it's usually done out of the case, I want to test and see if it can turn on this way instead by pressing the switch.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are talking about bypassing the power switch, you would identify those two pins by finding the Motherboard Switch Header and removing the leads for the power switch and momentarily shorting those two pins.

6. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Hmm. I don't know where the Motherboard Switch Header is. Reading through my manual I can't find that title or ATX or PWR ON as suggested online. The switches wouldn't be on the JFP1 would they? There are two called "power switch". Is that where I have to short the board?

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    that would be the one

8. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Great. Thanks. I will try it in a few hours and report back.

9. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Okay I just disconnected the cords on JFP1 and tested it. As one might expect it did the exact same thing as it has been doing when I switched it on with the on button. Does this indicate anything? It could still be a faulty motherboard or a power supply, right? I'm not sure what to test next.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The easiest thing is to check with a known good power supply of adequate wattage and amperage for your system. Remember this is a power supply that is known to operate a working system. If the problem still exists then it is possibly a bad motherboard The fact that you heard a buzzing noise would lead me to believe it is a power supply problem, even then if it was a power supply problem it also could have damaged the motherboard.

11. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Right now I'm on an older computer that has a working Dell Power supply. It is a little old with only a 20 pin slot, but I think it should still be swappable as I'm only trying to see if my motherboard receives power for a longer time than a second and I don't need graphics processing.

I swapped the two other power supplies with the older computer's motherboard and the LED light came on and it powered up like normal (as far as I can tell; I didn't connect a visual component). Both of the other power supplies, including one that still will make a small electric noise, seemed to work. I swapped back the old power supply and the old computer seems to work as I'm writing on it right now.

However, when I tried the old power supply with my newer motherboard the same thing happened. It would receive power for half a second and then stop. Since I now know that the spare power supply does indeed seem to work, I am going to try and use that just in case the old one is malfunctioning.

Right now I'm wondering if it is a faulty motherboard. I want to find out if there's an easy way to check if the motherboard just can't take power anymore. I've also heard that it could be something either draining too much energy or forcing the motherboard to shut down as a precaution so I guess it could be RAM or something else doing that.

Of course, I'm no expert so I'm just thinking of possibilities I can possibly try.

12. Wurms

Wurms

A few things to try:

Removing the RAM and turning on power should emit a constant beeping noise from the motherboard, indicating the motherboard is good.

Something else to do is check your CMOS battery. Remove, wait 20-30 seconds, then place it back in. If your motherboard shorted it out, you need to kill ALL power to it.

Ive helped someone before who's computer just shut down on them while working and wouldn't power back on. After unplugging the power supply, waiting for a minute, and trying again, it still wouldnt power on. Power supply right? Turns out, their Iphone, connected via USB shorted out the board. Had to reset the CMOS battery to get it to boot again.

Also, speaking of shorting out the motherboard. Check the pins inside all your USB ports. If any pins are touching, that will cause a short. I've experienced this a few times also. Acts like the motherboard is dead.

13. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Okay, I just tried pulling out the CMOS battery and reinserted it but nothing changed. I also replaced the spare power supply with my usual one because, although the spare did spin the fan once, more often than not it did nothing.

I haven't any beeps since it stopped working. I also don't think that any of the USB pins were touching.

14. Wurms

Wurms

If your power supplies are good, and still no power with everything disconnecting and no beeps, you probably have a bad board. You've run through all other scenarios.

15. LogiRogi

LogiRogi Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm afraid it might be a bad motherboard and I'm close to buying one to test it, but I'm just wary because it still might be bad RAM or a bad graphics card potentially. I don't have a spare for either so I don't know if they work or not.

Also, I've never set up a computer from scratch myself. If I bought a new motherboard, how much would I have to put together? I know I'd have to put in my graphics card, RAM, power supply and connections, hard drive, CPU, and heatsink but do I usually have to put anything else together besides screwing it on carefully? Like batteries or wires?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice