Solved: Computer Only Turns On For a Moment and Made Buzzing Noise When Shut Off Befo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dustyjay

Jay
No Batteries to install, Wires from the Power Supply and case fans would have to be installed, Heatsink and CPU would need to be cleaned of the old Thermal Compound, Case switch wires would have to be connected, And if the new motherboard is not identical to the old one you would need to do a clean install of windows which would also mean all drivers for the Motherboard and other hardware would have to installed. All Windows updates would have to be installed. All of your other programs would have be installed fresh.

Yeah, I'm afraid it might be a bad motherboard and I'm close to buying one to test it, but I'm just wary because it still might be bad RAM or a bad graphics card potentially. I don't have a spare for either so I don't know if they work or not.

Also, I've never set up a computer from scratch myself. If I bought a new motherboard, how much would I have to put together? I know I'd have to put in my graphics card, RAM, power supply and connections, hard drive, CPU, and heatsink but do I usually have to put anything else together besides screwing it on carefully? Like batteries or wires?
Unless your graphics card is shorting the board out, I doubt thats the problem. Your board has onboard graphics, so you can just pull your card out and test using the onboard graphics.

If it was your RAM, you should be hearing beeps if you pull all your RAM out and power on the system. Your motherboard will beep constantly alerting you that no RAM is detected.

No beeps means its either a bad power supply (which you tested), a bad motherboard, or a component shorting the board. Remove all components (except RAM), this includes things like hard drives, dvd drives, pc cards, all usb devices (even the keyboard, since our goal is to at least get a BIOS splash screen) and power on the board. You should at least get the BIOS screen. If not, and you are sure the power supply is good, then your board is the culprit. Sucks, I know, been there myself, but it happens.

LogiRogi

Thanks for helping me look into the matter, everyone. Two technicians further confirmed that it is probably a faulty motherboard so I've gone ahead and ordered a new one of this same model. Hopefully everything will run swell. I'll post what happens when I get it.

LogiRogi

Okay. I just got my new motherboard and it's the same model as the last. I put it together and the thing not only turned on but worked loading into Bios and into my Windows.

However, it didn't take long for a different error to occur. I can't find anything on it and was hoping you guys could help me out. To connect my main hard drive, a Maxtor Diamond Max 10 with 160 GB. As I was using it my computer crashed and the quickly showed a blue screen. Then when it started up again it couldn't find my hard drive and now my hard drive makes a weird electronic noise that sounds like something from an 8bit video game.

It makes this noise about three times and then boots but cannot find my hard drive. I was wondering why this has happened. I'm currently using a Vantec IDE to SATA converter to connect my drive.

If you go into Bios, does it detect your drive? That is your first task, to get bios to recognize it. If bios doesnt detect your HDD, then try swapping sata/ide cables, verifying the correct sata port is connected and active (in bios settings), resetting CMOS (remove CMOS battery for 30 seconds).

If your HDD is detected by bios, then you may have to repair your MBR. Just insert your windows disk and "Repair Your Computer".

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html

Also, if your HDD is detected in BIOS, you can download Hirens Boot CD, load it onto a flash drive or CD and boot from it. It has a lot of tools, some of which can backup data and check your drive, repair boot configs, etc.

Not sure what you mean by electronic noise, but if the noise you are hearing is a "clicking" sound, that can indicate a dead/dying HDD,

LogiRogi

The old Maxtor hard drive, I believe, was broken. Apparently the odd sound it made was associated with a stuck spindle. As much as I'd love to recover that data, all that I've read says that it can be difficult and best left to professionals but they can cost a pretty penny.

I had mistaken the CD drive for my other hard drive and finally got the hard drive to be seen in BIOS. Then when I did that I was able to do a successful clean install and the computer currently seems to be running normally.

Some component did make a short, sharp buzz when it shut down yesterday but hasn't done so since and so I can't pinpoint what that was but I'm using the alternative, supposedly working power supply so hopefully it isn't anything bad.

One other thing I am concerned about right now, however, is a way to ensure that my hard drive does not get damaged from being knocked around while on, like my last one. My tower is upright on a table and I tried to tuck the hard drive away horizontally in an alcove near the DVD drive, but the last one might have gotten hot there. This one was in a standing position at the bottom of the case, but is now leaning against the case. My case is a Cooler Master and I'm wondering if there is a good place to put it so it won't get jostled around.

This one was in a standing position at the bottom of the case, but is now leaning against the case. My case is a Cooler Master and I'm wondering if there is a good place to put it so it won't get jostled around.
a harddrive should be either vertical or horizontal and also should be screwed into the case............not leaning on anything
what exact case do u have???

LogiRogi

Hmm. I don't think I have anything to screw it in. There's one brace, I think, but I don't even know if it's for the hard drive.

I'm not sure how I can be more specific on the case. It's a Cooler Master and it's black. It came with an Asus DVD drive, has a grate with a logo taking up half of the bottom in the front, and features a power and a reset button opposite two USBs and audio jacks.

I think there is a space under the DVD drive, so I'll probably stash it there.

some pics would help........... all cases have spot for harddrives unless u have a something missing

LogiRogi

Unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera. It would probably be too dark. Do you think my hard drive is fine just below the DVD drive? It is pretty secure. I just worry that it might get too hot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online