1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer overheats

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sammeh_Boy, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sammeh_Boy

Sammeh_Boy Thread Starter

I downloaded HDDLife to check the temperature of my computer, and it keeps warning me about urgent over heat like 15 minutes after I turn it on(Starts at 37 Degrees[Celcius]) and tells me its in 'URGENT OVERHEAT' at 45 Degrees[Celcius] and has a max. temp. of 59 Degrees[Celcius] and I was wondering, should I turn it straight off at 45, because experimentation has told me it goes good until 50 when it slows down a bit. I bought a case fan a couple of months ago and put off selling it up because it was a painful idea of drilling holes in the back of the PC. Also, is there any way of cooling the PC down short of buying a $700 air-conditioner?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

What pc do you have?

3. Sammeh_Boy

I have an Optima WorkPro, here is a Lavalys report of it.

Attached Files:

4. hammer1

hammer1

How many fans any location? exhaust or intake?
    Can you install a top exhaust fan as this will remove most of the warm air that rises rapidly. Exhaust fans should outnumber intake fans for maxinum cooling.

5. Sammeh_Boy

One at the top(taking air in)
    One in the middle area(blowing it out)
    and a few of holes down the very bottom with no fan in them

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is probably causing the problem; you need any fan at the top of the case to be blowing air OUT not in. Reverse the fan and you should be ok.

7. hammer1

hammer1

Top INTAKE fan is a NO NO
    Leave side fan as exhaust
    If you could install an intake fan at the bottom of case, that would help.
    Exhaust fans actually assist intake fans quite a bit, thus the reason exhaust fans should at least equal or exceed the number of intake fans.
    Make sure you fans are blowing properly by holding a piece of cellophane,tissue over the fans.

8. Sammeh_Boy

I dont have any fans on the side.

9. hammer1

hammer1

Sorry, I misread your post
    Still OK, just correct top fan problem

10. buckfan1

buckfan1

Check to make sure all of your fans are clean and running right. if you can move the fan from the top to the bottom in the front with it blowing cool air in your power supply will blow hot air out. Make sure that the cpu fan is working right and nothing is in front of it or blocking the air flow. tie up your cables so air can flow. How long have you had this problem? Is this a new thing?

11. Sammeh_Boy

Its a new problem, and im not brave enough to venture into the case(it will void my warranty) and I guess ill just have to stick to a 2-hour use computer until summer is over, if it still overheats after summer ill contact Optima. Thanks for the help anyway.

-Sam

12. buckfan1

buckfan1

Call the maker of the comuter and ask them if it will void the warrenty to clean the dirt out of the fans I do not believe it will and it will not hurt to ask.
    good luck

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If it is still under warranty, just ship / take it back and have it fixed correctly. I cannot believe any competent system builder would install an intake fan above an exhaust fan in the case.

14. Sammeh_Boy

I've been looking at the back puzzled thinking the same thing, because basic airflow physics should scream intake bottom, exhaust top, and i've been looking at it and I think I was wrong and they both could be exhaust/the top one is just a hole, I can feel the air coming out, but only little bits, where as the middle part is coming out like a fan should.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It was probably supposed to be two exhaust fans. Those fans will install in either direction. I would guess that someone installed the fan backwards. It is a very simple matter to reverse the fan direction.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice