1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer powers up/down twice before booting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bassamnz, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bassamnz

bassamnz Thread Starter

So, my motherboard and PSU were fried on my old set up. So I bought a new motherboard and PSU.

Asus P6X58D replaced an Asus P6T
    And a 1000w replaced another 1000w

Now when I hit the power button, i hear the fans power up twice and on the third time the PC boots up. When I restart the computer it only does the power up/down once and on the second go it boots.

So it goes like

Hit power button>fans on/ hard drive noise>fans/hdd off> fans/hdd on> fans/hdd off> fans/hdd on > boots
    Hit restart inside the OS>powers down> fans/hdd on>fans/hdd off>fans/hdd on> boots

What is the problem? is this a problem? I would think it is a very, very bad problem.

2. bassamnz

bassamnz Thread Starter

Ok let's add another.

I have 6gigs (3x2gb) of ram installed. But dxdiag is only showing 4. Thoughts? Do i need to configure the motherboard to accept 6?

3. bassamnz

bassamnz Thread Starter

Solved! So it turns out one of the memory ports on my brand new motherboard is broken and that's why that slot is not appearing and also what's causing the power issues.

I took the card out of that one and the power issues are fixed and When i put it in another slot, i get all 6 gigs.

I have to go complain to the retailer now so that they give me a new one.

4. ablang

ablang

I kind of have this exact same problem w/ my new barebones kit except it does the on/off thing indefinitely.

I don't know if its the 450W PS or the cheap Gigabyte motherboard, but I will try the RAM thing when I get home. Unfortunately, my board only has 2 slots.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice