1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: computer randomly shutts off

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jrpg10389, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

Ok i was having problems with this computer having no video so one day i was messing with it and it decides to get video weird i dont know well anyways so ok i first had problems with it saying NTDLR is missing so right when the computer would go to load the windows xp setup cd there would just be a black screen i dont know what caused this but after trying some boot discs it magically loaded the xp cd now my problem is that i have xp loaded the computer keeps resetting randomly:confused: every time i try to do something like run CHKDISK it resets itself right before its done i dont know what to do if its a hardware or software problem the motherboard is a ASRock K7S41 the proccecor is a AMD Athlon xp 2400+ i dont know if that helps at all u could google pictures of the board i appreciate any help i can get :)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

the computer has a built in heat sensor for the proccecor its only running at 120 degrees farenheit so that isnt the problem lol

4. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

anyone know of any other reason? i have been messing with this computer for so long and finally said screw it ill get help lol

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

120 Fahrenheit is equal to 48.89 Celsius so that is as you say OK.

I do not understand how boot disks can magically load. Could you explain that for me and if you have more than one install of Windows on your computer?

6. adreval

adreval

PSU may be failing, or your Ram is is failing, id go PSU 1st

7. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

ummm no only 1 installation let me go check how many degrees celcius it is reading

8. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

its reading at 45 degrees celcius the average temeprature of my kind of proccecor AMD Athlon XP runs at 90degrees celcious so im actually running colder than i should here is a link with average temperatures for amd proccecors

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

could me running cold be the reason why? i dont think its possible to be running too cold lol i have no clue my dad was messing with the boot discs and tryin to get them to work he had no clue what he was doing i was not in the room at the time but when i got back it was not popping up anymore ( The NTLDR is missing)

9. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

im about to just go to tigerdirect and buy a new computer if i dont get this issue sorted out soon

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you added any ram to this pc recently? Ever? Can you tell us brand name and wattage of power supply?

11. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

This is just a thought, but did you set your BIOS to boot from the CD?

12. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

when i set up windows yes i set it to boot off of the cd but afterwards i changed it back to only boot from the hardrive....... the comptuer is at the guy i was gonna get it froms house i told him im about done with it its pissing me off too bad and when it comes to the ram no since the guy had it he never changed or added ram

13. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

never mind guys i took a closer look at the board it got cooked lol

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So, I take it this thread is solved?

You can mark it solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu ;)

15. jrpg10389

jrpg10389 Thread Starter

yep....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!