1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer randomly turns off...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Vertigogo, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vertigogo

Vertigogo Thread Starter

And sometimes won't turn back on for a while. At first I thought there might be a short in one of the connections inside, or maybe a dieing power supply. Those might still be true, but I remembered that this started after I told my computer to "sleep" after 3 hours. That is when it began randomly crashing. I've already turned off sleep, but the problem persists.

My computer will just randomly die. Sometimes when I hit the power button after this happens it turns on for a second, fans spin, lights come on, but it dies again before it even gets to the bios. Every time it has died it has been when it wasn't in use (i.e., when it was at its lowest level of power consumption). Games play fine. All my drivers are up to date that I know of.

Any ideas? I don't want to take apart my computer if this is a bug in windows.

2. pccare_himanshu

pccare_himanshu

You can try to perform system restore to that date on which it was running good and remember perform system restore from Safe mode

3. Vertigogo

Vertigogo Thread Starter

I don't have any restore points from safe mode, but I'll try on of the ones from before when next it fails. Any other ideas I can try?

4. joeten

joeten

Hi can you post your computer spec ie make and model or motherboard make and model, ram,cpu,is it stock heatsink and fan is it overclocked,do you have a seperate video card if a custom build the power supply,does this happen in safemode,have you run your antivirus and malware programs,do you have a install or recovery disc,what service packs are installed

5. Vertigogo

Vertigogo Thread Starter

Processor- Intel Core2 Duo E6850 Stock speed
    Motherboard- ASUS P5N-E up to date drivers
    RAM- 2g not sure about the manufacturer
    Stock Heatsink and 3 fans on front, side and back
    NVIDIA 9600gt
    Stock power supply on an Apevia X-Supra G
    Haven't had it happen in safe mode
    Everything scanned using several different programs (online virus scans as well as avast)
    No recovery disk and Vista sp2

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like a classic dying or inadequate power supply and supplies in cases, are seldom worth using.

7. pccare_himanshu

pccare_himanshu

8. joeten

joeten

Hi Rich-M could well be correct can you take the side off and see if you can spot the label with the wattage anything under 550w will most likely be under powered a 550w or better would be best,also stock heatsink and fan are not always so good my son had a problem similar to this and a change of h&f solved it,have you checked in C\windows\minindump to see if any dmp files have been made or in eventviewer where you can look through the logs to see if ther is anything recorded around the time of these events

9. Vertigogo

Vertigogo Thread Starter

The wattage is 500 and it has run the system for 2 years without issue.
    Eventviewer only shows inproper shutdowns with no indication of what caused it.
    Temps are all fine as well for what it is worth.
    Occasionally there is a bit of stuttering when starting up or in video games that is a fairly recent development. I suppose that would lend credence to a faulty psu

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Apevia are junk psu's so whether or not it did work, it was inadequate and could easily have degraded.

11. joeten

joeten

HI ok all psu makers are allowed to work within a tolerance 20% which means a good make will output around 400 to 450w, if as Rich-M says the psu in your machine is not of that quality you will not get more than 400w so consider yourself one of the lucky few for it to have lasted this long,I take it you found no minidumps either which makes me think we are on the right track

12. Vertigogo

Vertigogo Thread Starter

Changed out the PSU and the problem went away. Thanks for all the help!

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Good for you!

14. joeten

joeten

Glad to hear it

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice