1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer reboots after I shut it down

Discussion in 'General Security' started by popeyecartoon, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. popeyecartoon

popeyecartoon Thread Starter

After coming back from vacation I booted up my Toshiba laptop (with Vista) and couldn't get on the internet through my wireless router so I ran the cable from my modem to my laptop and did what I needed to do. After I finished I used the little shutdown command that comes up after clicking on the start button and the computer shut down.Good so far. Then it started back up about two minutes later and after that everytime I told it to shutdown it would restart, sometimes two minutes later and sometimes five minutes later. The only way to prevent it was to disconnect the internet cable from the computer. I downloaded new firmware for my D-Link router as there wasn't any other way (after trying for an hour) to get it going and am now wireless again which is nice. But I don't know nor can the modem supplier tell me, why when the laptop is hardwired to the modem it keeps booting back up. It all worked great before I went on vacation. I had unplugged everything while away and there wasn't anyone at my place so it wasn't used or abused by anyone. I ran Malwarebytes but didn't find anything. Could you please help me understand what may have happened.

2. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson

Can't you plug in an Ethernet cable (persumably your "cable"), install/update the wireless driver, un-plug the Ethernet cable, then re-boot? Also, did you think of plugging out the "cable" stragiht after you shut down?

3. popeyecartoon

The computer said that my wireless driver was the most recent available.
    Yes I disconnected the ethernet cable to prevent the restart. The question is 'why does an ethernet connection from the modem cause the computer to start'.

4. antimoth

antimoth

You're sure it is powered off and not just "sleeping"? I recall a configuration where a sleeping PC can be woke up with data on the LAN port.

5. popeyecartoon

I know the difference form sleeping and down for the count. Every single time I used the shutdown command withthe ethernet cable attached it would start back up 2 - 5 minutes after. Disconnect the cable and it would stay down.

6. antimoth

antimoth

7. popeyecartoon

Very intersting article which led me onto a few others. It appears that there is enough resident juice after shutting down to cause the restart. So i disabled it and now no more starts from a cold shutdown. Thanks antimoth.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice