1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer refuses to boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackdw, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

My usual PC decided this afternoon that it would play a game a day ahead of a critical deadline. It has decided, randomly, that it doesn't want to boot anymore.

Specs:
    Foxccon Motherboard (Don't know the model number off-hand)
    AMD Sempron 3000+
    ATI Shappire x1600Pro AGP
    18gb IDE C drive
    80gb IDE D drive
    250gb SATA E drive

It was working fine 10 hours ago. Turn it off to go out, come back to finish the work and it gave me a 'BEEEP BEEP BEEP'. Long short short beeps.

I tried a new battery, as far as I know I have cleared the CMOS using clr_cmos jumpers. Unplugged all drives, won't show BIOS.

Something tells me this is a BIOS problem.

Any ideas? I sorta wouldnt mind my regular PC back online.

Cheers
    Jack

EDIT:
    Sorry, forgot to add. No Beeps at all now. All powers up like it's going to work but the HDD light stays on constantly and the rest of the computer does nothing but whirr normaly.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you know the make of bios
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#01
    this will tel you what the beeps meant when you had them

check all the cables and reseat modules etc - you may have disturbed something

does it goto bios now

3. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Well I don't knwo what BIOS I have but I left out the battery when I went to work. Came back, put it back in, nearly booted just had to set the time and set bootup floppy seek to disabled.

Thanks for the link but as usual, I fix it before I have a chance to post here!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice