1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer refuses to recognise boot discs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Duggeh, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duggeh

Duggeh Thread Starter

I begin with the confession that this may be the first time I've ever had to bother you expert chaps with a forum enquiry about this sort of thing. I can normally get my way around the inside and outside of a computer but I find myself oddly stumped here

I am doing a nice clean install of XP on a housemates computer for her, its a Packard Bell although I've no model number (cant see one written on it). It has a Sempron 3000+ and a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800MNF-RH motherboard. That exact motherboard model doesn't seem to be on gigabytes website.

The machine has no floppy drive and there is no USB or LAN boot option available. The only boot choices are CD-ROM and HD.

The computer refuses to recognise any boot CD. The XP CD, Ultimate Boot Disc, DOS with NTFS boot CD or otherwise. It also will not recognise the hard drive as a boot option when the contents of the XP CD or other boot disc are copied to it (via my own machine).

The system simply repeats the "Disc boot failure, insert system disc and press enter" message in perpetuity.

Best theories that I have at the minute are:

(A)That the DVD drive is buggered and isn't actually reading the boot discs at all.
    (B)That Packard Bell have got some sort of crap in place designed to prevent this sort of installation (at the low system level) in order to force you to use one of their proprietary recovery system options. (Not an option as the drive has been totally wiped and repartitioned back to one volume and formatted).

If (B) then that might explain the odd motherboard model number? Although that doesn't really matter.

I humbly ask for any suggestions or advice you may have for me in this matter. Thanks.

2. johnsonwk2

johnsonwk2

Option B does not seem plausible to me, but I could be wrong.

You said your good with PCs so I would take a good look at the BIOS. Make sure you can see everything such as the CD drive itself.

3. Duggeh

Duggeh Thread Starter

I don't think that (B) is llikely either, I just threw it in the air out of a more general frustration, guess the conspiracy theorist in me fancied a rant.

The CD and HD drives both appear in the bios and on the post screen (pri mast and sec mast respectively).

I may if I have time later put a floppy drive in and see if I can use a boot diskette. But Id prefer to not have to fudge around as Packard Bell have riveted large parts of the case together and getting in and about the system is fiddly as hell for some parts.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

These things are only bad cd, dvd drive, hard drive or memory and bear in mind all of them can work fine in Windows but cannot complete an install where they have to be in tip top shape.

5. Duggeh

Duggeh Thread Starter

I have worked it out. I put another DVD drive in. the existing one just wasn't reading any discs. Fairly simple hardware failure to blame in the end.

Now I have a new paperweight I guess.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

7. Duggeh

Duggeh Thread Starter

Have done. Thanks.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice