1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] computer - restricted browser only?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jakoval, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

Not sure just where to put this - mods please move if necessary.

I work for a used-car wholesaler. Several of the leasing companies for whom we process vehicles are in the process of setting up websites to sell their vehicles on-line. My boss has just asked me to set up one of our older computers for our wholesale customers to use to visit these sites and bid on these vehicles online. I guess essentially it will be a box that can access the internet through our router, but on which the user is restricted to using a browser (probably IE6) and a printer. The browser should probably be restricted as to what sites it can visit and the user should have very restricted powers.

Will be setting this machine from scratch - probably using Win 2K Pro. I know Opera has a "kiosk" mode (http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/) that seems to keep the user from doing anything else on the machine. Looks a great deal like what I need for this situation - unfortunately, one of the sites doesn't work well with Opera.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to the best way to go about this. Does anyone know if there is a similar capability in IE?

Thanks in advance.

2. dtugg

dtugg

Couldn't you just use content advisor in IE.

It has a section for "approved sites"

It seems like you could just turn down the settings and add those car bidding sites to your "approved sites" list.

There is also a box that you should probably uncheck that says "users can see sites that have no rating"

Seems to me like that should work.... Any other ideas? Anyone?

dtugg

3. dtugg

dtugg

UPDATE*****

This would work, but some sites have no ratings and therefore would not be blocked by content advisor.... (ie AOL)

I tested it and it did work pretty good, but probably not as good as you'd like.

I will repost if i find anything new...

dtugg

4. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

dtugg -

Thanks for the response.

The nice thing about the opera kiosk mode is that you can prevent users from closing the browser and doing anything else with the computer.

I'm really hoping to set up somthing similar.

5. Ratboy

Ratboy

6. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

Thanks ratboy - it does look very promising. Will have to check it out.

7. jakoval

jakoval Thread Starter

Thought I'd give an update on how things worked out with this project, in case someone needs to do something similar.

Unfortunately, I was working with an extremely limited budget. I ended up using a combination of 2 programs. The earlier (freeware) version of Public Web Browser that Ratboy found, along with IXIS Research's Security Administrator

The PWB allowed me to create a customized browser with highly restricted capabilities. The Security Admin allowed me to block access to local drives, the network, and essentially everything except the browser, notepad, calculator, printer and (in conjunction with PWB) very basic email (i.e. send a link). Also blocks use of function keys, CTL/ALT/DEL, etc) Can set up different user accounts with varying restrictions. Can also set up various versions of the browser just by specifying different ini files in the shortcut commandline.

Set it all up on an old IBM 750 (P100 - 64MB RAM running W98) that was gathering dust. Could see it being useful in situations like a Tourism office kiosk or access to company website/catalog in a lobby/waiting room.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice