1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Computer running very slowly after new hard drive installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akril, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Since my Gateway DX200X's old hard drive is on the verge of failing, I've purchased a 1TB WD Green internal hard drive and installed Windows XP SP2 on it. While I'm now facing the predictable problem of how to transfer my various old programs and settings to this new OS without having to reinstall everything, I've run into another problem which has to be addressed right now:

My computer is now running at an agonizingly slow speed. I took a look at the graphs in the Processes tab of the Task Manager, and it seems like my CPU's power usage jumps as high as 100% even when I do something as basic as moving a window. Is my computer just not powerful enough to handle a larger hard drive, or is this model of hard drive just really slow?

2. Dougx789

Dougx789

As far as the transferring programs is concerned there are threads under software on this site which talk about how to do this eg http://forums.techguy.org/all-other...migration-software-including-application.html

WD green i believe is the slowest of the WD range. Black is the fastest. However I don't see why this would cause your CPU maxing out. Once the window is opened it should be in your ram and move smoothly.

To allow someone to determine the cause of your problem we will need more information about your computer.
    Please use the tech guy system info utility and paste the results below http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you replaced the hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP SP2 in it, you need to upgrade it to SP3 and then install the 100+ post-SP3 high priority updates.

The goal is to get Windows XP up-to-date before you install a bunch of programs and extras in that computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

You need to reinstall your programs and extras in the new hard drive.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Thank you for the link, Doug.

Here's the info I got from SysInfo:
    EDIT: I just updated to SP3, so I figured I'd add my system's new info to this thread:

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I would not run that computer much longer without some kind of Anti-Virus program installed:(

6. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I currently can't connect to the Internet on that computer, but I am planning on getting some antivirus software installed on it as soon as I can.

7. markjsr

markjsr

I know this may sound insanely basic, but I once had a similar problem (also on an old Gateway), and it turned out one drive needed slave/master jumper.

8. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I actually found a jumper when I was first removing my old hard drives, though I'm not sure which hard drive it was in (it seemed like it just fell out of the hard drive case as I was removing it). However, I'm using a SATA hard drive, and the cursory research I says that there are no master/slave positions on SATA hard drives. The only settings available for the hard drive model I'm using are SSC, PHY, OPT1, and of course, the default setting.

9. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I'm considering exchanging the WD Green hard drive I'm using for a WD Black, but I'm still wondering if the slowness I'm experiencing with the Green drive could be caused by something other than the drive itself. I'd think that these days, even the slowest hard drives shouldn't be so slow that moving a window causes the CPU usage to jump to 100%.

Could someone please recommend any other tests I should try to determine that all is well before I try starting over with a new hard drive?

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You don't mention installing any drivers after the XP install was complete. If you haven't done so yet I would go to the link below and download the Chipset drivers and install them, restart the PC and install the Intel(r) Express Chipset Family Video Driver and restart again. Now when you drag a window.is the Cpu usage still nearly 100% ?

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2630

11. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I think I might have found the solution to my problem -- the graphics driver. I had several drivers in Device Manager with exclamation marks next to them, but when I reinstalled the driver for my graphics card (an NVIDIA GeForce GT 430), nearly all of them were gone when I restarted, and my computer was running much, much faster.

However, there is still one exclamation mark that isn't going away, and it's next to a device simply labeled "Video Controller". I've tried updating the driver, uninstalling it and searching for solutions online. So far, nothing I've tried seems to work.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It could be the Intel driver at my link in post #10 - if so it's for the onboard graphics and you probably don't need it but it should do no harm to install it.

EDIT : I would install the chipset driver from that link though.

13. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Everything seems to be working just fine now, but I will try to install that driver when I have the chance.

I think this issue can be considered solved now. Thank you very much for your help, everyone!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice